Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bent 2012: Import Tape into free slot by a Job

martin_hess
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi!

I'm playing with Bent 2012 right now - becmd.exe doesn't seem to exist anymore, so my batch file to import a library into a free slot doesn't work anymore.

So my question: How can I import a mailslot in Bent 2012 into any free slot by a job??? I can create an import job by selecting a slot, but this job will fail if this slot isn't free...

Thanks for your help!
martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

That's generally how it works. If the slot has a tape in it, there is physically no way to put it into the slot!

BEMCLI has replaced the old command line and is now integrated into PowerShell.

Check the link below which tells you how to access it, and you can also check out the commands from there (or the BE 2012 Admin Guide!):

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH182570

Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV

Hi,

That's generally how it works. If the slot has a tape in it, there is physically no way to put it into the slot!

BEMCLI has replaced the old command line and is now integrated into PowerShell.

Check the link below which tells you how to access it, and you can also check out the commands from there (or the BE 2012 Admin Guide!):

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH182570

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

BECMD has been replaced by BEMCLI...check Open BEMCLI_en.chm from \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec for help options

martin_hess
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your answers! :)

But wouldn't it be a nice enhancement if we could set up a "import mailslot into first free slot"-Job? Would make admins life a lot easier....

martin

CraigV

...I can understand why a vendor does something like that, and it's probably just so that the backup software can keep track of what that particular slot is for.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

That may or may not work

If, for example, you have partitioned the Library,  that would tend to do bad things  surprise

martin_hess
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have several customers with small libraries such as the 1/8 Autoloader from HP. Having a script to autoimport the mailslot was very (end-) user friendly, because almost everyone can take out the exported tape from weekends full backup and insert a new one during the week. On friday, I've scheduled the script so that the tape in the mailslot was imported and used for the full backup that day.

I've tried to create such a script with the new powershell but was unsucessful. I would buy anyone some beer if you could suply me with such a script! :)

regards from switzerland!
martin

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I would probably be re-doing the script in BEMCLI.  I just don't have the time to do so and my test environment does not have a tape drive.  However, if you send a keg of beer over now, it might speed things up. wink

martin_hess
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Just send me your address ;)

I've found a way to get a free slot:  

$slot = Get-BERoboticLibraryDevice "HP 0002" | Get-BERoboticLibrarySlot | where-object {$_.Media -like ''} | Select-Object SlotNumber
$slot.slotnumber

No shure if that works in all cases - and don't know how to start the job... :-S

martin