cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice: 4 week backup to disk then offload to tape?

Chris_Teillon
Level 3
What is the best way to setup a disk to tape scenario where we keep 4 weeks of retention on disk and then when the media become appendable (set up in the media set) it writes to tape?

example:

User shares:
1 full backup per week on sunday
4 week retention
4th week writes to tape

Is there a way to set this automatically?

thanks in advance
3 REPLIES 3

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
From your description it sounds more like you need some kind of document storage / archival system than Backup Exec. Why do you only want to backup the data to tape after a month rather than backing it up more regularly?

Since disk based backups are wonderful for fast backups and restores but useless for disaster recovery, if you office burnt down, or you had a flood or what ever, the only data you'd have available for restore from tape would be a minimum of a month old, which for most businesses at least would be very bad indeed!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Gotta agree with Keith -

I'd suggest setting up policies such that as each B2D job finishes, it kicks off a DUPLICATE to tape job

You get both online retreival speed and disaster recovery to last night's backup.

Chris_Teillon
Level 3
I guess this is best. I can set it to duplicate to tape and set the tape media to a 8 week retention.

thanks for the input!