cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to setup Backup Exec with the following strategy...

limester
Level 3

Hi,

We will be:

1- Daily Incremental of filesystem A that appends each week to the same media (Monday1 Monday2....)

2- Daily Full Backup of file system B that appends to the above media in 1

3- Export media when 2 completes

4- Full Backup of filesystem A every 6 months

Not sure of the best way to setup policies for these, any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

First I would HIGHLY recommend FULL backups of System A more often than 6 months.  If you have to do a Disaster Recovery type restore, you would need the last backup AND EVERY SUBSEQUENT BACKUP to recover

Also, you want to write every Monday backup to the same tape?  Every Tuesday to a diferent tape, etc?what are you planning on doing when the tapesfills up?  If you overwrite them, you lose all those backups

That being said, create

job1  Daily INCR SystemA  APPEND/Else Overwrite to media set A

job2  Daily FULL SystemB  APPEND to media set A

job3  FULL  SystemA      Overwrite       

limester
Level 3

Thanks for the quick response!

The Full Backups of A will run very long (10TB + of data) and we only have one drive (MSL2024 library)

The incremental backups of A will never fill a LTO4 tape (5GB a day x 6months)

And the Full backups of B are never more than 1GB (and the hope is that each week they will expire)

The plan is to have a rotation of 5 media for inc backup of A (covering Monday to Friday)

The media will be exported and stored offsite for one week, then placed back in the library for the next incremental, so we will have

Tape1 - Full Backup of A (different media set i)

Tape2 - Monday1A + MondayB, Monday2A + MondayB....etc..   (different media set ii)

Tape3 - Tuesday1A + TuesdayB, Tuesday2A + TuesdayB...etc..

Tape4 - Wednesday......and so on

For restore, we will only require the Media set i and ii to restore the data.

We also want to automate the export of the media for the user, this looks best accomplished by using a policy and template.  So I am thinking:

Policy 1 - protect A

Inc Backup Template - Append else cancel (do not want to risk overwriting in case of operator error)

Full Backup template- Overwrite

Export template - export media when Full Backup completes

Policy 2 - Protect B

Full Backup template (eject after completion - will run after Policy 1 - Inc Backup) - Append to media set ii

Export template - export media when above is complete (this tape will have inc backup A and full backup B)

Is this possible in the real world?  or am I missing something key?

I am used to TSM so Backup Exec is a bit of a learning curve for me.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!