cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank LTO media is very slow to inventory, label, etc.

James_Kitchen
Not applicable
I'm experiencing a very unusual problem with BackupExec 10.1 and blank media.

I'm running Windows Server 2003 on a Dell PowerEdge 1550 with an Adaptec 39160 controller using the latest Adaptec drivers. The library is an Overland LoaderXpress with an HP LTO-2 drive.

Blank LTO or LTO-2 media takes a long time to be initially read by BackupExec. Inventories takes about 8 minutes per tape and the media usually comes back labeled as bad. The drive stats indicate tons of hard read errors after the operation, usually 80+ per tape. A quick erase is similar except it takes 16 minutes per tape and the tape does get labeled. The drive indicates exactly 66 hard read errors on every blank that is quick erased. During these long pauses the drive remains idle. Once labeled though tapes will read or write error free. The same with used tapes, no errors.

I have been able to verify that this problem only happens while using BackupExec. Using HP's Storageworks Library and Tape Tools software and running a read/write test on blank media gives no delays and no errors.

Any ideas on what could be causing this and is there a fix?

Thanks in advance!

Jim
1 REPLY 1

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Are there any errors related to the device.
Event id like 9,11 or 15?

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.