cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue question marks on folders to restore

Cindy_Peregolis
Level 3
I am having problems with some Differential jobs backed up to disk. When I go to restore any files, the media folders have a blue question mark on them and the message: "No selection exists for this resource."

I followed instructions to remove the checkbox under Tools/Options/Catalog - Use storage media-based catalogs and catalog the media. When I do this, it's able to catalog some files, but a majority of the media just comes up having 0 bytes, but the media themselves read that 10 GB was written. I also applied SP4 for BE, but that had no effect on this problem.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/200601.htm

Truncated entries save space in the catalog, but maintain APP and/or OPP for the tape volume.

Cindy_Peregolis
Level 3
When I try to catalog the media, which I have set to 10 GB for max size for backup-to-disk files, it will catalog a few MB from some of the media and 0 for others, when they show as 10 GB written to them under the device list, but are not listed at all in the media list.

Under Tools/Options/Catalog, I set the "Truncate catalogs after - 15 days and "Remove unused catalogs after" - 30 days.

Any other suggestions?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Cindy,

Try to force backup exec to reindex the catalogs. Here is a technote that will help:

How to manually force Backup Exec to re-index the on-disk catalogs
http://support.veritas.com/docs/272886

Revert if the issue persists.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Cindy_Peregolis
Level 3
OK. I did exactly as instructed in the Technote, but, just like when I re-catalog the media, it does not show everything. Example, lastnight it backed up over 147 GB to disk. Only a small portion of the files that were backed up show in the restore window. If someone would like for me to send them logs and screen prints, it would be my pleasure. My e-mail is Cindy@hsius.com.

Cindy_Peregolis
Level 3
OK - I have an update. After performing the tasks described in the Technote and nothing really showed up still, I went ahead and re-cataloged everything from lastnight's backup again and everything showed up this time. All 147+ GB.

BUT - I wonder what caused this problem and how I could permanently fix it so that I don't have to RECATALOG everytime I need to do a restore?
Thanks!

Cindy_Peregolis
Level 3
Another update:
After an hour or two, I noticed an error event log entry about the BE Catalog service so went and checked it out. The files I recatalogued became corrupted and once again had a blue question mark on the folder when in the restore screen (by resource).

So, I just recreated a new CATALOGS folder (stopped the BE services, renamed the CATALOGS folder, once the services started it created a new CATALOGS folder). I checked this morning and everything appears to be fine. Is it possible that the old CATALOGS Folder was just corrupted? I did notice an INCOMPATIBLE subfolder in there as well.

Any clues on how this could've happened or how to prevent it in the future would be greatly appreciated. Also, willing to take bets on how long this new CATALOGS folder will last. :)

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Cidy,
You need to run the BE database maintenance regularly to ensure that the expired data in the db is deleted. Db maintenance is done at 4am each day by default.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.