cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN NOT RESTORE EXCHANGE

Eric_Weintraub
Level 3
I get the following error when trying to restore exchange stores using the "Recovery Storage Group".

And before someone sends me a kb link that tells me that VSS backups are not supported I am NOT using VSS. Not on the "Advanced File Options" or in the Exchange Settings area of the backup properties.

I need help. Please help. I used to use on-track power controls but since BE10 the formats are different and its left me no way to extract the edb files, so I can get into the store and get out the files for the user who is complaining. In fact I wish I could tell my end user “your out of luck” like the KB article says.

More Info:
-------------
-I have created a recovery group
-I have added the store I want to recover to that group
-I have 2x checked that the "overwrite store" is checked
-I have unchecked the commit and mount options from the restore properties.
-I use an Exchange Cluster (active / passive) if that make a difference.
-I am a total 2003 shop (OS and Exchange.)
-I dislike how even though I bought this product I can not get phone support without paying extra.
-I dislike how all backup software is under par, but at least BE is the best of the worst.

BTW: this is my second post since support only posted to my original post once and didn’t even bother to read the details of what I had said.

====================================
Job ended: Friday, September 16, 2005 at 11:11:41
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000ff00 - Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted. Use the Exchange System Manager to dismount the databases, and then retry the job.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65280
=====================================
7 REPLIES 7

Amit_Gupta_2
Level 4
Noting much can be done.
You can try deleting the mailbox store. Delete the Recovery Storage Group.Delete all the transaction logs which might be left out for RSG.
Try starting from scratch.
Do not mount the store after creating in RSG.
Make sure No loss option is not checked.
Commit database is checked.
try restore

Steve_O_2
Level 4
What event ID do you see in the app/system log on the exchange server.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Are you using Veritas BEWS 10.0 5520 with all the latest Hotfixes?
If not it, which version are you using?

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Eric_Weintraub
Level 3
verison 10 build 5484

Milin_Desai
Level 4
If you are backing up the store itself without using VSS juts wanted to make sure you follow these stesp for RSG

1. Configure the RSG, naming it the same as the original storage group, if possible. If a storage group of the same name already exists on the recovery server, you can name the RSG whatever you wish. As a general rule: when naming the RSG, always try to give it the same name as the original storage group. If you get an “Object already exists” error, then choose a different name.
2. Add desired databases to the RSG. Do not mount databases until you have restored existing database files from backup.
After changing permissions, adding or deleting databases in the RSG or changing attributes of an RSG, it may take up to 15 minutes for previously cached values to be refreshed. Until the cache has been refreshed, restoring to the RSG or EXMerging data from it may fail.
3. Before restoring from backup, dismount any databases currently mounted in the RSG. Remove transaction log files (*.LOG) and checkpoint files (*.CHK) for the RSG to prevent them from interfering with recovery.
4. Restore a full backup set to the RSG server. If you will not be restoring additional differential or incremental backups, or adding additional log files for replay, you can set hard recovery to run automatically.
5. If desired, restore incremental or differential transaction log backups. As you are restoring the final backup, you can set hard recovery to run automatically, unless there are additional log files not available from an online backup set that you would like to replay. If you are not familiar with how Exchange incremental and differential backups work, see the section below,

Cheers!

Alan_English
Level 3
I just wanted to say that yesterday I successfully performed a database restore to a RSG on an Exchange 2003 cluster. So it does work. I too found out the hard way about snapshots. Since I changed the backup, it works like a champ. I'm using BE version 10.5520. Also, I perform full backups each night, so I don't have to make any changes to the restore options. All options are default on BE for the restore and Exchange when creating RSG.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Eric

Can you please update on the issue ?

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.