cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CASO & MMS Licensing

BackupDawg
Level 4

Hi,

I thought I had a handle on the Backup Exec licensing model, however after a long conversation with the 'offshore' support agent, they have completely confused me.

I have a CASO and an MMS. The MMS backups up a Windows file server.

1. Backup Exec 2014 Ent Svr License is installed on CASO

2. Backup Exec 2014 Server License is installed on MMS

3. Windows Agent License is installed on MMS

The Symantec Eng I spoke to couldnt confirm if the licenses should be applied to MMS or CASO so he ended up applying to both.

So where should I apply the licenses listed in lines 2 and 3 - to the MMS or the CASO?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec Server licenses are installed at ALL media servers. These licenses already include the agent license for backing up itself. The Enterprise Server Option which includes the CASO-MMS functionality is installed on the primary media server which will be designated as the CASO.

Remote Agent licenses are installed on the media server which is going to do the actual backup of the remote server. It can either be the CASO or MMS or both depending upon which media server you will use for the backup. Since in your case, the MMS server will do the actual backup of the file server, the Remote Agent license will be installed at the MMS.

To summarize in your setup -

1) CASO server will have the BE server license + Enterprise Server Option.

2) MMS server will have the BE server license

3) MMS server will have the RAWS license

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6

Backup Exec Server licenses are installed at ALL media servers. These licenses already include the agent license for backing up itself. The Enterprise Server Option which includes the CASO-MMS functionality is installed on the primary media server which will be designated as the CASO.

Remote Agent licenses are installed on the media server which is going to do the actual backup of the remote server. It can either be the CASO or MMS or both depending upon which media server you will use for the backup. Since in your case, the MMS server will do the actual backup of the file server, the Remote Agent license will be installed at the MMS.

To summarize in your setup -

1) CASO server will have the BE server license + Enterprise Server Option.

2) MMS server will have the BE server license

3) MMS server will have the RAWS license

Colin_Weaver

In addition to VJWare answer, if you need to to backup Applications and Databases

The "Agent for Applications and Databses" license will need to have at least one license installed on the CAS (as you can't select the data to be backed up without it) and one or more on the Managed Backup Exec Server (MBE) - depending on how many databases you backup

You may need more than one "Agnet for windows" license if you backup multiple remote servers as well.

BackupDawg
Level 4

Excellent, thanks very much for clarifying VJ.

Hi Colin, hope youre well, thanks for the additional info.