cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS 11d - So many errors it's not even funny

Henrik_Nejmann
Level 4
Had high hopes for the new version of CPS (11d) but I get so many errors it's not even funny...

All hotfixes applied.

Backing up system state on five servers (all W2KSP1) Log shows the following error on all servers:

---------------------------
Job 'ZZZ' has been canceled.
The pair on source computer 'XXX', destination computer 'YYY' for job 'ZZZ' canceled due to an error. : Another program requires the computer 'XXX' to be restarted in order to complete the installation of new software, updates, service packs or a previous System State restore. You must restart the computer before you can backup or restore the System State.
The System State Named Object is out of date on the computer 'sv-fs-02'.

I have of course tried to restart the servers several times, searched on these forums, kb and nothing has popped up suggesting what might be wrong.

Trying to backup shares -only- in a separate job on the same servers gives me the following errors:

The pair on source computer 'XXX', destination computer 'YYY' for job 'WWW' canceled due to an error. : Internal error: Unable to create file ...\Thumbs.db:encryptable - (NT error Access is denied.).

The pair on source computer 'XXX', destination computer 'YYY' for job 'WWW' canceled due to an error. : Internal error: Unable to create file ...:Zone.Identifier - (NT error Access is denied.).

And these (above) errors shows up on several other files stopping the pair completely.

The pair on source computer 'UUU', destination computer 'XXX' for job 'HHH' canceled due to an error. : Internal error: Received a packet out of sequence.

Plus backing up from one of the servers is painstakingly slow like a few to tens of KB/s whereas the other servers is running much faster (MB/s) all on the same switch

We did use BE verion 10d before and I have never seen these errors/slowdowns before.
If anyone have an idea what is wrong any help is much appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

Henrik_Nejmann
Level 4
The servers are off course Windows 2003 Service Pack 1.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
When you upgraded did you delelte all jobs, policies, selections reboot and then recreate them?

Henrik_Nejmann
Level 4
Yes, or you could say I didn't even upgrade.
I removed the previous version alltogether (the installer asks if you want to keep jobs etc.) and afterwards installed the new version.
So no obvious leftovers from the previous version.

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Just to let you know Henrik we are experiencing the same and other problems with CPS 11d in our environment. What I have found for a work around on the problems about needing to restart as shown in the error logs, is to stop the job in the CPS console between the CPS server and the remote server, stop and restart the CPS services on the remote server and then initiate the backup job again in the CPS console.

The transfer speeds can be agonzingly slow for no apparent reason, there are way to many errors, stopping a job between the CPS and remote server can sometimes take well over 30 minutes. Its very frustrating to say the least, bandwidth throttling does not work properly. Its a wondeful technology...if it worked correctly.

Henrik_Nejmann
Level 4
Thanks. Helps a litle to know I'm not the only one with these problems!
But I wish someone from Symantec would take the above descriped issues one by one and tell if there's a solution, if it's a confirmed error or if the program is expected to behave like this.

Henrik_Nejmann
Level 4
I could really use some help with the below errors. They make a CPS job impossible since it has taken four days to backup 1/80 of our primary fileserver since it keeps canceling the job.

The pair on source computer 'XXX', destination computer 'YYY' for job 'WWW' canceled due to an error. : Internal error: Unable to create file ...\Thumbs.db:encryptable - (NT error Access is denied.).

The pair on source computer 'XXX', destination computer 'YYY' for job 'WWW' canceled due to an error. : Internal error: Unable to create file ...:Zone.Identifier - (NT error Access is denied.).

I'm not sure why it says permissions are denied other than the filetypes seems to be mostly thumbs.db:encryptable and internet files that somehow have the :Zone.Identifier tag. Anyone?

Jeff_Zankofsky
Level 5
Employee
Slow backups may be due to the \CPS\Journals folder residing on a dataset drive. On CPS "Source" Servers, the \Journals folder should be located on a drive that will not contain any files selected for backup.

To change location: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/279082.htm

I think the other issue " Internal error: Unable to create file ...\Thumbs.db:encryptable - (NT error Access is denied.)" is one that they're aware of and is being worked on.

Hope this helps

Steve_Meek
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Is anyone doing Exchange backups with CPS 11d?

I have it installed and everything seems to be communicating well. However, I cannot see Exchange mailboxes on my 2 node cluster. I tried to select using virtual server name and I do see the server, but only shows file system view or exchange folders and files.

I can't even find a document in support knowledgebase to reference what it should look like.

Any ideas appreciated...

Steve

Henrik_Nejmann
Level 4
Jeff Zankofsky - So would it be better to place the journals on your system drive than on tour data drive to improve backup?

Henrik_Nejmann
Level 4
Steve Meek - I have just begun playing with Exchange tonight but I will let you know if any issues pop up.

Jeff_Zankofsky
Level 5
Employee
Yes. On "Source" Servers, it's a best practice to house the Journal folder on a dedicated volume. If one is not available, placing the Journals on the System volume is preferable to having them reside on the dataset volume.

Jeff_Zankofsky
Level 5
Employee
Steve,

By default in 11d the mailboxes are hidden, and can only be selected if you turn on the legacy mailbox backup method in Tools|Options|Exchange

If you leave it as it is, you will be doing a granular backup of the Exch db's. This enables you to restore individual mailboxes from an IS without having to do brick level backups.

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
I think he was refering to exchange WITH CPS with which the selections have to be made and turned on in BackupExec.

Steve_Meek
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Yep, Exchange with CPS. I was finally able to see the Information Store on my test cluster with various changes and services restarts.

I do not need to see individual mailboxes. But I don't quite understand getting the right config between CPS and BE. I want to do hourly snapshots of email.

I have a job in CPS that backs up nodes 1 and 2 via file system.

I want BE to do similar, so I have regular backups of Exchange (you know, Continuous Protection). Do I have to run th BE job all day long (each hour).

Any input appreciated. I just can't find a doc on the Symantec site that covers Exchange protection with CPS in detail. I went through the CPS Administrators guide with no joy.

S

AlexMoreno
Level 2
Partner
I have the followin problem... aomeone can help me please: "The pair on source computer 'XXX', destination computer 'YYY' for job 'WWW' canceled due to an error. : Internal error: Unable to create file ...\Thumbs.db:encryptable - (NT error Access is denied.)
And these (above) errors shows up on several other files stopping the pair completely."

Than you a lot

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi Alex,

There are a couple of things that may cause this issue.

I believe that you were looking into the naming convention, and that was not the cause.

After researching this error I would be interested to see what occurred if the file was copied into a new file and saved. If these files that you are seeing the error on are older files they could have issues from file conversions through the upgrades of OS and Applications.

Also, you may want to check the following registry key to ensure that these file types or files are not listed here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
Patty