cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRC Errors on Verify

Edward_Margel
Level 2
Last backup/verify worked fine on 12/8. Beginning the next backup on 12/11 the job shows that the backup completed but when starting the verify it fails with a read CRC error. Tried different tapes next two backups still fails. Did a small backup and verify ok. Backed up one hard drive (alittle more data) ok. Major difference between jobs that verified ok and those that failed was in the job log. The failed jobs showed that the D: drive verify was attempted before the C: drive. The C: drive was actually listed as the last one in the list. I do not know what changed, did not do any updates, etc on the server (Windows 2003 SP1 on a DELL 2650). I am going to try backing up just the C and D drives and see what happens.

Added info: I discovered that the job fails when verifying the C: drive. I do not see any info about a corrupt file. The last 3 backups that failed did not happen after the same number of files verified.

Is there a log I can look at to see which file caused the CRC error?

I would appreciate any help,
TIAMessage was edited by: Ed
Edward Margel
2 REPLIES 2

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

What does CRC erros generally indicates and what causes SCSI time out?

CRC errors generally indicates one of a few things:
1) Dirty tape head.
2) Bad tape. The tape may have bad sectors or is getting old and the coating material is coming off or has stretched due to high heat and/or use.
3) Bad tape drive. A bad tape drive can be manifested any number of ways including CRC errors, I/O errors and filling up tape rapidly.
4) Termination or other cabling problems.
5) Problem with SCSI controller and/or transfer rate is set up too fast for the tape drive.
6) Bad or outdated drivers.

SCSI Time Out:
SCSI time outs occur when the signal sent from the backup source (through the SCSI card to the tape drive) is lost or greatly diminished in strength. The tape drive does not understand what it is being asked to do and a SCSI time out occurs. To stop SCSI time outs, do the following:
1. Check your cabling. Make sure both ends of the SCSI cable are firmly fastened in the connector. If the tape drive is the terminating device make sure there are no empty connectors between the tape drive and any other device that may be on the cable.
2. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your SCSI controller. Drivers are provided by your SCSI card manufacturer.
3. Check your SCSI settings to make sure they are set to the drive manufacturer suggested settings.

Please verify if you are getting event id's 7, 9, 11 or 15?

Regrads,

Edward_Margel
Level 2
Thanks for the info, the problem has been resolved. It turns out that the tape drive was bad. Strange that sometimes it would do a 5 GB backup and verify ok but doing averify on 28 GB it would error out after verifying 2 GB. Oh well, at least problem has been solved.

Ed