cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can 11d BE servers back up 10d RAWS clients?

Jenni_BellMicro
Level 3
Partner
Has anyone had this error before?
I'm upgrading my 10d Backup Exec server (win2003 ) to 11d - build 7170 and trying to backup my old 10.1 and 10.0 clients. I've been told that 11d servers can backup 10d clients but all I get is the following message when I try to browse the selection lists

Thanks Jen

[Edit: removed bad link.. Please post image links to a public image server such as imageshack, photobucket, tinypic, etc and then use the button during message editing to insert the link to the images url on the public image server.  Links pointing to the users local machine will not work. ]

Message Edited by LakeRat on 11-08-2007 12:19 PM
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Can't see the image, but -

A v11d media server will connect to a v10d RAWS, but the SCL specifically says "for the purpose of rolling upgrades only".  You will, however get a version mismatch warning

To comply with the Symantec Licensing Policy, your RemoteAgents must be the same version as the media server

Jenni_BellMicro
Level 3
Partner
Hi Ken,

Thank you for your reply. I am a newbie on symantec forums so still getting to grips with uploading screenshots and stuff.

Ok I have taken on board what you are saying but my understanding is that I should be able to OK past this message and still make my selections for backup?

I have built an 11d CAS and am trying to set up all my backup selection lists and policies in advance of the upgrade of the existing 10d Media server to an 11d MMS

What is actually happening is I get this error message:

"The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems on the remote computer is a previous or incompatible version. If you have configured advertising on the remote computer, please go to the favourites node, locate this machine, and make your backup selections from there.
For more information on this error, click here V-259-0001"

When I click OK I only see any shares on the client and these are greyed out and I can't select them. I don't see any drives such as C:\, D:\ or system state or anything like that.

So what this means at the moment is I can't prepare my CAS in advance.

I have another issue on my CAS (it won't communicate with my MMS's) which I have raised a support call for and I'm hoping that hotfix 27 is gonna fix this backup selection issue too but i thought i'd post anyway and see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks for your time and have a nice weekend x

Jenni_BellMicro
Level 3
Partner
Hi BE Gurus,

I have received hotfix 27 from symantec which has fixed my issue with the CAS and MMS not communicating. Everything is working great apart from the fact that I can't create any backup selection lists for any 10.x RAWS (32-bit).

I get an error message and then I only see shares and they are greyed out. Disk drives like C:\ & D:\ are not listed and also there is no sys state or shadow copy or anything.

Error message: "The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems on the remote computer is a previous or incompatible version. If you have configured advertising on the remote computer, please go to the favourites node, locate this machine, and make your backup selections from there.
For more information on this error, click here V-259-0001"

Can anyone please confirm if this is expected behaviour? I thought that I should be able to create my backup selection lists in advance so that when I upgrade all my current RAWS to BE11d I can start creating backups straight away.

I need to migrate away from my customers existing (non-managed) Media Server to new hardware so I thought the easiest thing to do would be to create all my backup selection lists and policies, then put the old 10.x jobs on hold and take off hold my new jobs. Then once everything is backing up ok I can upgrade all my RAWS to 11d. If I don't do it this way my fallback plan is a lot more complicated as if I need to revert back I need to downgrade all my RAWS.

I'm gonna log a support case for this but if you have seen this before or know where I'm going wrong I would really appreciate you posting me.

Thanks and have a nice weekend!

jen

Jenni_BellMicro
Level 3
Partner
Hi Guys,

I hope someone can help me as I'm getting very confused now.

I logged a call with Symantec about this and was told that I am trying to do this the wrong way round. Symantec have informed me that I will be able to back up 11d RAWS with a 10.x Media Server but not vice versa.

So they told me I should upgrade all my remote agents immediately and can continue to back them up with my existing 10.x Media Servers while enabling me to create new backup selection lists on my 11d CAS

I was a bit sceptical about this statement as it means it works different than every other backup product I am familiar with but decided to give this a try. It still doesn't work!!! I don't get the error message anymore but I still can't see any server disk drives in the backup selection list when i browse to my client.

So i am still unsure regarding backwards compatibility, forwards compatibility, how to get this working... - Please help!

jen

KeirL
Level 6
Partner
Hey Jen

Perhaps Media Server advertising is turned on for the 10d clients. See page 800 of the 10d Admin guide

regards
K