cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Backup Exec read the .V01 catalog files created by ntbackup.exe?

FUBARinSFO
Level 2

Hi:

I want to convert the .V01 backup catalog files created by ntbackup.exe into text-readable files that can be searched, so as to locate off-line .bkf files.  Can't seem to find anything about being able to do this translation.

1) Can Backup Exec read these .V01 files created by ntbackup.exe?

2) Can Backup Exec generate a conversion of these ntbackup .V01 files to text, or failing that can it convert its own .V01 files to text?

3) And finally, can Backup Exec read/restore ntbackup-created .bkf files?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-- Roy Zider

7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

BackupExec can create a text file of data in a particular catalog with the CATDUMP utility.  See 

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316288.htm

Have no idea whether BackupExec  can read a Netbackup catalog, but would tend to doubt it, 

FUBARinSFO
Level 2

Ken:

I downloaded catdump and had to install Backup Exec 8.6 as well in order to run it. 

Indeed it does not read .bkf files created with Windows ntbackup.exe.  Error message is "Invalid file.  Backup Exec Signature not found."

Thanks anyway.

-- Roy Zider

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The link I provided had a v12,  a v11d, two v10  and a v9 download on it

FUBARinSFO
Level 2

Ken:

Yes, indeed it did.  But it also specified:

To use this utility:

1. Backup Exec 12.0 or 12.5 for Windows Servers must be installed*

Since I didn't have this later version installed, I went to one of my earlier versions that I had handy, installed that, and found that at least the older version checks for a Veritas id on the .bkf file. 

-- Roy

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Ken:

Yes, indeed it did.  But it also specified:

To use this utility:

1. Backup Exec 12.0 or 12.5 for Windows Servers must be installed*

Since I didn't have this later version installed, I went to one of my earlier versions that I had handy, installed that, and found that at least the older version checks for a Veritas id on the .bkf file. 

-- Roy

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

According to

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/317859.htm 

v11 and v12 should be able to restore NTbackup data, but the date stamps may be incorrect after restore

FUBARinSFO
Level 2

Ken:

That's a helpful start.  But I'm not trying to restore the ntbackup.exe-created .bkf files with another program (tho that is useful in itself), what I want to do is to simply get a catalog of its files without having to go through the effort of restoring to a different drive and taking the directory of that restoration.  That's what I'm doing now, and while it is mostly straightforward, it is not a simple as just plucking a catalog from the .bkf.

I've got Nucleus Kernel BKF recovery, and it can take a "snapshot" of the contents of .bkf files from Symantec Veritas or Windows ntbackup.exe and save them as a text file.  The output has the full drive-path-filename string, all the time-date-file size parameters are long ints it appears, and need further translation in order to be useful.

-- Roy

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

what I want to do is to simply get a catalog of its files without having to go through the effort of restoring to a different drive and taking the directory of that restoration. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That is what CATDUMP is supposed to do.  From the page I referenced before, select the CATDUMP corresponding to your installed version (don't know why they don't include it in the install, this keeps coming up over and over)