cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change the name of a VCenter Server / ESX Host after I have added it?

Stefche
Level 2

Hi,

I want to change the name of a VCenter Server / ESX Host within Backup Exec 15, is that possible?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To elaborate on PKHs answer

Stand alone (unmanaged) ESXi Hosts or VCenter servers that have been added by hostname or FQDN will have to be added in again with the new name and then new jobs creating and then you can delete the old record (as long as you don't want to do restores from backup sets created against the old name) or move the old record to the retired servers group (to keep restores available but hide it from the main lists)

There are two scenarios that we don't specifically have info on (mainly because the question has not come up before). And both scenarios may also need new objects - however it is possibly that they may only need either recreation of jobs or no further action:

1) Managed ESXi host is renamed but the vCenter server managing it was not renamed and the jobs were originally created via the vCentre server object

2) The vCenter or ESXi hosts were originally added to Backup Exec by IP address instead of Hostname or FQDN

As such if you are planning a rename - make sure you have good information on the configuration and selections for any backup jobs involved - as if you have to recreate either the complete reference or the jobs you will need this info.