cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I restore image from a tape that already moved to scratch media pool?

WPS_PCCW
Level 2
Server OS: Win2000SP4
Backup Exec: 10d

Problem: After I backup some jobs and after some time, I mount the tape again move it to scratch media set but do nothing. Suddenly I need to restore some files in the tape.

I put it on another server with the same hardware/backup exec version. I inventory and then catalog it. But nothing can be seen on Restore tab. Then I try another tape that did not move to scratch set, I can catalog (although with error) and see the selections on Restore tab.

Can I catalog back and then restore the image from a tape that has been put in scratch media set without any writing action like format/backup?

Thank you very much!!
1 REPLY 1

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
You should be able to. All that moving the tape over to scratch media does is remove any current overwrite protection or append periods which were applied to the media through the relavant media set, therefore making it available for use. But it doesn't do anything to the tape itself or it's contents. In fact I don't think you even need the tape to be inserted in the drive / library in order to move the media set, so it can't make any changes to the tape.

I think your problem is something else, eg the catalog job isn't correctly reading the data from the tape to display it in your restore selections, or something went wrong with the original backup so the data wasn't even backed up correctly. I don't think it has anything to do with moving the media over to Scratch Media.