cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use CAS to restore a SDR backup where the SDR backup run MMS server?

Kenneth_Lam
Level 4

Hi all,

In my planning, there have two backup exec servers, one is CAS on DR site and one is MMS on production server site. These servers are connected via WAN connection. I want to know if I have created one backup job with SDR enabled on MMS server and duplicate the backup set to CAS server. Can I restore the backup server using the SDR function on CAS assuming that the MMS server is down. The server configuration is listed as follow:

CAS server:

Window 2012R2 std, backup exec 15 with deduplication option and enterprise server option.

MMS server:

Window 2012R2 std, backup exec 15 with deduplication option and enterprise server option.

Remark: I have tried to copy any *.dr files to CAS server but it cannot work if MMS server power off.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I suspect that the .dr file on the SDR disk is pointing to the original backup set.

Create a SDR disk but do not select a server and try again

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are storing your backup sets in the dedup folders, then they cannot be used for SDR.  You need to duplicate them to normal disk storage first.  After you boot up from the SDR disk, you then point to these backup sets and do your restore.

The .dr file is of no use because it only points to the original backup.

Why is your CASO at the DR site?  Normally the MMS should be at the DR site.

Thank you for your reply.

This is becuase Vertias support ask that the catalog of any backup can only copy from MMS to CAS. So, if any production servers backup, such as exchange or MS SQL database on CAS server, there may be having issue on restore on MMS server.

In addition, for the disaster recovery disk, do I need to build on MMS? Or, I can build on CAS?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If need be, you can always catalog the backup set on the MLS.

You can create the SDR disk on any server

I have just try again but still fail. Below is my testing procedures.

1. Create a backup job on MMS server. Then, run a full backup to local deduplicate disk and duplicate the backup set to CAS server shared deduplicate disk. Both actions perform on same job. Then, I duplicate the backup set from CAS local deduplicate disk to local normal disk.

2. I cannot select the backed up server during creating SDR disk on CAS server.

3. I copy any *.DR file from MMS to CAS server and then I can select the backed up server during creating SDR disk.

4. Then, I shutdown the MMS server and using the SDR disk on the testing server to try to restore the server. After I select the backup set and perform restore, it just hold and the progress have not advanced. Then, I startup the MMS server and the progress advance with a very low speed (Across a slow WAN connection). This is not my experted.

Does I miss any step or take any wrong action?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I would suggest that you try to the restore on the local site before attempting a restore at a remote site.

You might also want to try a manual recovery before doing a SDR recovery

I have tried on local site already and it is successful. But, I would like to define a restore plan assuming that my head office is totally destroyed that mean the MMS server on head office is not available. Then, find out the way to restore all production servers as fast as possible.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I suspect that the .dr file on the SDR disk is pointing to the original backup set.

Create a SDR disk but do not select a server and try again

Many thanks!!!! Your solution is right. Just bypass selecting any server to create the SDR disk can solve my problem. Then, I can restore the server without the MMS server online. Thank you for your help.

In addition, I don't clearly know that why you suggest to deploy MMS server on DR site instead of production site? And, what is the meaning of "you can always catalog the backup set on the MLS."? Would you provide me more detail?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

After you duplicate to the remote server, just run a catalog job on the dedup folder

Oh, I see. Thank you for your information.