cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not restore Exchange 2003 mailbox "Unable to attach to a resource."

steve_barnes_2
Not applicable
Hello,

I am trying to restore an Exchange 2003 mailbox. We are evaluating Backup Exec 11D, fully patched on a windows 2003 server. We are backing up to disk. When I select the maibox item and click restore, this is the error I get;

Job ended: Thursday, December 07, 2006 at 11:30:21 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.
Final error category: Resource Errors

I did make sure that the account has access to the Exchange server by testing it out using the test reature.

Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6

Jeff_Zankofsky
Level 5
Employee
Granular restore technology will still use mapi on the Exch server while restoring mailboxes. A good way to test if mapi is working properly would be to enable legacy mailbox backups, and test backups and restores using the old 10d method.

Go to Tools | Options | Enable Legacy Mailbox Support.

When you browse to your Exch server, you will see an idividual mailbox selection.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Could you please Update us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta

Davis_Onsakia
Not applicable
Hi,

Thanks for all your contributions.

But please can somebody out there or at Symantec give us an answer to the above question, which was raised by Steve Barnes?

I badly need the answer: i have got exactly the same problem and i do not know how to go about it.

Regards,

Davis

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Does your backup exchange accound have a mailbox? if not give it one.

log onto a desktop as the backup exec service account and try open users' mailboxes at random, you should have full access to them.

T_K
Level 4
Any update on your issue?

For me, it says access denied when testing the system account credentials so I have a lead there.

Chris_Kemp
Level 3
I received the same error when trying to restore a users inbox.

I resolved the issue by setting the restore job to dismount the IS (and remount when done), then setting up an Exchange mailbox for the userid used in backups.