cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Apply Encryption Key to Backup Jobs

David_Jennings
Level 5
We recently installed BE11d on our backup server and things have been working pretty well.  Last week my boss asked me to create an encryption key, which I did without issue.  I thought it would be applied by default to all backup jobs, but when I was asked to do a restore earlier and wasn't prompted I knew something was wrong.  Went into the jobs and noticed that I actually have to set it to use the key.  Issue is when I try to select the key I get an error stating that the key cannot be used because the owner could not be validated within the time limit.  The host server of the key owner may be inaccessible or busy.  Am I missing something?

I've set the key as the default and this is with respect to pre-existing jobs that were created from templates.  I checked the Restore tab but none of the media has a lock on it that I can see.

Message Edited by David Jennings on 04-24-2008 07:25 AM
2 REPLIES 2

PHOENIX_2
Level 4
Partner
Hi,

First of all i want to tell you whenever you set any default parameters in Backup exec it will reflected only in new jobs not in the previous, so for that you have to set them manually.

Now for encryption key apply issue, please check the followings:

Whether you set the key mode to restricted or common. If you key mode set to restricted then only the user who has created it can only apply it. So if you login on your backup server as a different user, then try login on backup server as a user who has created the key and then apply it. Or else set the key mode to common.

David_Jennings
Level 5
Had forgotten that not all of the settings under tools options take place right away (usually just set catalog and path information there).

As for the key.  I created a restricted key logged in as myself and tried to apply it to jobs when I was logged in and got that error.  I tried creating a new key logged in as the backup service account and applying that but I got the same result.  When I make a common key and try to apply it everything goes through without a hitch.