cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Back up New Win 2003 Server?

sammyc53
Level 5
Just rebuilt a win 2003 box (machine had same name, but was win 2000 before).

I deleted all Selection lists and recreated all jobs associated with this server.

The job always fails with this error...   I'm stuck.   I followed all Symantec and MS KB articles on this one.  Neither of them really lead me anywhere.

Help!

Backup
V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\server\Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open...
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FEC9): A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\server\System?State". Advanced Open File Opti...
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FEC9): A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

The job will only allow me to back up 550MB of the 30GB server, no
matter what I specify...  so yes, that 550mb might just be the system
state, but I can't back anything up on C: or D:, or anything else for
that matter...

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

sammyc53
Level 5
I just saw this one right before your post:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293136.htm

Details:
This error may occur if the system being backed up is built using a Slipstream install CD that has been modified with additional data other then the default Microsoft Install.

Resolution:
Re-apply the latest Service Pack for Windows 2003 and reboot the server. Rerun the backups.

Looks like they just added this on Nov 14th (My problem originated before that).

But that's exactly how I installed this server!  So this may be what I am looking for.  Hopefully this works!

Thanks Ken.

sammyc53
Level 5
It worked like a champ!  Thanks!