cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't backup VMWare virtual machines - "does not have valid credentials"

ScotH
Level 4

I have been able to backup VMWare virtual machines successfully under Backup Exec 2010.  I installed BE 2010 R2, and now when attempting to backup the VMs, I receive this message: 

"0xe0009b61 - The logon account that was provided does not have valid credentials. Ensure that the user name and password are correct, and then try again."

Another server with the same BE version is able to backup the VMs without a problem.  Any idea how to resolve this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ScotH
Level 4

I figured this out.  In Backup Exec under Logon Accounts on the problematic server, I deleted the "root" account that was used to login to VMWare.  I then transferred "root" from BE on a successfully backing up server.  The backups are now able to run with this transferred account. 

Note that I had deleted and recreated the root account on the problem server, but this did not correct the problem.  Something with the transferred account was different enough to allow the backup to occur. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

In the backup job you have added the virtual center or the Esx server name?

After upgrading to r2 did you change the credentials or anything that might be causing this.

In the job itself when you check the credentials what does it say.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Backup using the Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure (AVVI) may fail with the above mentioned error message for one of the following reasons:

A. If there is authentication failure while connecting to either the Virtual Center or ESX server.  The Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure facilitates the backup and restore of virtual machines hosted on an ESX server, either through ESX server or using Virtual Center.

B. If the guest virtual machine is selected under windows/domain selections as well as VMware Virtual Center and ESX server node in backup selections.

Solution:

To resolve the issue, please follow these steps:

A]
  • In order to backup the Virtual Machine, correct credentials needs to be specified.  
  • If the backup is performed through the Virtual Center, then the Logon Account, that is the Local System Account, rights needs to be specified.
  • If the backup is performed through ESX Server directly then its the root account that needs to be used.

Note: This issue can also occur if the password is changed for the account after the job configuration. To resolve this, the password needs to be changed in Backup Exec (Network, Logon Accounts) as well.

B]
Deselect the Guest Machine from Windows network or Domain selections if it is already selected under the VMware Virtual Center and ESX server node in backup selections.

Thanks,
-Sush...

ScotH
Level 4

In answer to the two responses, the credentials are correct.  When selecting the virtual server for the backup, I choose the logon account of "root", and it is accepted.  This account worked prior to the upgrade, and the password has not changed.  I have removed then readded the account to Backup Exec, but this had no effect. 

Also, the server is only selected under "VMWare vCenter and ESX Servers", and not under the domain. 

ScotH
Level 4

I can backup virtual servers and the credentials are read fine on two media servers, but fail with two other media servers.  The servers that can get a backup are both running on top of ESXi.  The failing servers are not virtualized. 

That's the only difference I can see right now.  All are running BE version 2010 R2.    All are configured the same under the VMWare agent section. 

One difference that could have an impact is that the successful servers are either installed new with BE 2010 R2 or upgraded to it from BE 2010.  The failing servers started out at BE 12 if not earlier.  Maybe some component of BE fails when upgraded versus being installed new.  I could do a complete uninstallation then reinstallation, but that is serious surgery on our servers. 

Still happy to hear suggestions for getting this working.

ScotH
Level 4

I figured this out.  In Backup Exec under Logon Accounts on the problematic server, I deleted the "root" account that was used to login to VMWare.  I then transferred "root" from BE on a successfully backing up server.  The backups are now able to run with this transferred account. 

Note that I had deleted and recreated the root account on the problem server, but this did not correct the problem.  Something with the transferred account was different enough to allow the backup to occur.