cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't backup after installing ISA 2004

Peter_G__Lee
Level 3
After installing ISA 2004 on this server I can't backup using BE. Running w2k in active directory. Upgraded recently to ver 10. rev 5484 and the remote server in question(with RAWS installed) was backing up fine. Installed ISA 2004 and I can't select any of the local drives. I get an error message that says
Selection of this item is disabled. Possible reasons are:

1. Remote Agent is incompatible (we purchased licenses for 10.0 agents and it worked before installing ISA)
2. Remote agent is not installed (I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but with still can't access the drives)
3. License is not installed (service is running)
4. You are not authorized to access the item.(we are using the same account (in the admins group)).

We're not blocking intra domain traffic and we even tried opening up all the ports 1-65536 both ways from our media server to the remote agent and vice versa, but with no progress. Your help is greatly appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Peter,

Ensure that the Port 10000 is not being used by any other application on the remote server. Heres a utility from Sysinternals that can enable you to check it:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html

ensure that the port 10000 is open and is listening.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Peter_G__Lee
Level 3
HI,

Thank you for replyiing. I ran TcpView.exe on the remote server and the only application using port 10000 is beremote.exe. Here is the output of the tcpview:

beremote.exe:3104TCPw2kxxx01:10000w2kxxx01:0LISTENING

The only thing that I notice different on this box is that the following process is running (which I suspect is related to Backup Exec )

BEComReg.exe:3252TCPw2kxxx01:38674w2kxxx01:0LISTENING

Message was edited by:
Peter G. LeeMessage was edited by:
Peter G. Lee

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please install the MSXML 4 latest service pack and SP1 for Internet Explorer. If you have applied then please reapply and verify results.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Peter_G__Lee
Level 3
Install MSXML 4 and SP1 for IE on the remote server or the BE Server?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Install MSXML 4 and SP1 for IE on BE server.

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Peter_G__Lee
Level 3
I reapplied the MSXML 4.0 with SP2 & IE SP1 but problem not fixed.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Execute TCP view and check if beserver is using ports 3526 and 6104

Thanks.

Peter_G__Lee
Level 3
beserver is using the following ports 3527 and 6106

(I include the TCP View Output):

beserver.exe:2972TCPw2kxxx01:3527w2kxxx01:0LISTENING
beserver.exe:2972TCPw2kxxx01:6106w2kxxx01:0LISTENING

Peter_G__Lee
Level 3
After some trial and error, and uninstalling and re-installing the RAWS. We finally were able to backup the server. The problem was a configuration problem on the ISA. We deleted the rule that used port 10000 from our Firewall policy and changed it to Allow Outbound Traffic, and it resolved our issue. I hope this helps others in the Future(as I've seen many similar posts). Thanks to the Veritas staff for their insight and help.

JOHN_o_connor_2
Level 2
I have identical problem and have added an access rule, outbound, all users, internal network, port 10000 (created for "NDMP") and still cannot get a connection. (To test, I simply run a credential test for my isa server backup job). Both the media server and the isa server, which has remote agent, are listening on tcp port 10000. I'm really stuck. Is there something about access rules I am missing?

Peter_G__Lee
Level 3
I did a packet capture and found out that communication between the servers use other ports: 445, & 3146. Now, I was so frustrated that I deleted my port 10000 rule. I created 2 new rules. One Host to Internal and another Internal to Host on both rules( Protocol tab)- Allow Outbound traffic , all users. There must be a more "secure" way to set this up but at this point all I wanted was to get my backups running. If you'd like, let me know what your e-mail is and I'll send you a screen shot of the ISA rule.

Regards,

JOHN_o_connor_2
Level 2
Thank you, Peter. Please send to johnroconnor@hotmail.com

this has stumped me for 2 days. I used TCPView to spot the ports, but assumed I had them open in my "veritas" rule. Why do you think your very broad all-ports rule didn't allow the contact?

Teh TCPView allowed me to see, too, that the media server sent the syn bit but the remote server , though listening, did not return the ack. I know isa replies on another port other than 10000, but if you (and I, too) tried opening all ports, why wasn't the connection made? Mystery so far to me.