cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't backup with IDR to CD_RW drive

Alan_Terrill
Level 3
There seems to be something fundamental that is stopping me from using IDR to create a bootable CD. I have done this some time ago, but since then I have upgraded to 2003, and it now won't recognise the CD_RW drive.
I have an Iomega external CD_RW USB drive -when I plug this in it is recognised as a CD drive but not as a writeable drive. Checking with Iomega it states that Windows 2003 is not supported. So I tried an external Samsung DVD-writer and the same thing happened (as it does on another 2003 server). So how do I create a CD from IDR if Windows 2003 doesn't support CD-RW drives? Is there some particular type of drive I need to buy?
1 REPLY 1

Alan_Terrill
Level 3
OK - I've now got an answer from a different forum, so here it is for anyone else:
Windows 2003 doesn't have any built in software for recording - you have to install Roxio or Nero or similar. If you look in My Computer, the drive appears as a CD read only drive, and if you put a blank recordable disc in and click on it , it says " F:\ is not accessible" just as if there were no disc in the drive. However, if you start from the Roxio menu, the disc is detected correctly and a recording can be made. I've no idea why it doesn't behave like XP does, but that's how it is.