cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to laptop for backup - Selection of Item disabled

JVS
Level 2
I am trying to backup a laptop. Until recently we had an old BE v8.6 server we used but want to migrate this function to a 10d server.  I try to select but the C drive is greyed out.  Here is what I have for licenses

Backup Exec for Windows
Agent For Exchange
Remote Agent for Windows
Desktop and Laptop option

I have tried uninstall and reinstall of agent on client machine.  I have tried multiple machines with same result.  If I try to use a user defined selection I get:

Error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of \\_____\c$.  Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.

I have tried XP and Vista machines with same result.

What am I missing.  This is all internal to our LAN so there is no firewall involved.  I have also verified client firewall is disabled

I am using a domain admin account to attempt the connection

6 REPLIES 6

JVS
Level 2
Come on guys, I just want to backup a laptop directly to tape (not DLO)!  I can't hit any of the laptops I have tried so this is a BE issue.  What am I missing? 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
is it XP Pro or XP Home?

Vista does require a licensed RemoteAgent to connect

XP/W2K should require the Agent to backup system state, but you don't need a serial (only for ServerOS machines

JVS
Level 2
I have tried both XP Pro and Vista.  We are only testing Vista but for the future, which agent is needed for Vista?  I am really trying to make this work with XP Pro at this time though. 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Vista would require the same agent as W2k, XP or W2K3, it just needs a serial installed on the media server also.

(Note that Vista will require  v11d.7170, and the AOFO as well as the RAWS  (see http://support.veritas.com/docs/288181 )

JVS
Level 2
Thanks for the update on Vista.

the KB you listed says:

1. Ensure that the Remote Agent for Windows Servers is installed on the remote system. - I can't install the remote agent. If I go to remote install wizard and pick the machine it will not take my domain admin credential.  I get message that says access denied, so I can't install that agent.

2. Make sure the version of the Remote Agent is the same as the Backup Exec Media server. - It would be if I could install it

3. Make sure there is a Remote Agent license for each remote server that is being backed up. - I need a seperate license to backup each machine? 

4. Remove any extra lines that appear in the text view of the selection list of a job returning this error. -I can't select it so no text view

5. Start, or stop and restart, the Backup Exec Remote Agent Service on the remote system.- again, not installed

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If a Domain Admin account has problems connecting, something else is going on, too. 

Have you tried a local install of the Agent?