cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't duplicate backup job

JH
Level 2
   Hello,

I tried to set a D2D2T backup. One full a week then differential backups.

All the D2D backups runs fine. All te differential backups runs fine. But the D2T Full backup ends up with an error I can't get rid off :
Unable to determine ADAMM media identification - Catalog query failed
This is a duplicate job, it should duplicate the D2D backup to the tape.

I don't understand what's happening and googleing around did not help me.

Could anyone help?

Thank you.
12 REPLIES 12

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Did you recatalog the master tape and then run a differential?

JH
Level 2
I don't get it. There is a job politie that tells D2T should happend just after D2D. Why would I catalog the disc between them?

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
If it fixes the problem for now, is it worth it?   If you catalog the tape, does it fix the issue?   If yes, it is a solution to get your backups working until they fix it.    After you manually catalog the master, how many differential backups happen before it fails again.   You are getting information to report the issue and determine the cause.  You are also getting your backups to complete, which is more important.   I rather have a backup even if I have to manually kick it off each night.   I report the issue and wait for a solution to get back to automatic backups.  

Paulo
Level 4
I am also having the same problem. I have deleted the policies, recreated templates, tried new B2D folders etc and this still happens. Why is this so difficult to get working? I am having to manually run my duplicate jobs every day, this is a nightmare.

Have you found a solution to this yet?

Regards
Paul.

Paulo
Level 4
Just to update you, I cataloged the tape again, and the duplicate job still failed!! I am having to manually run a duplicate job. Why oh why is this software so bad.

Please help. I may seriously start looking at other products now.

Francois_Steyl
Level 4
Partner

Hi Guys.

What does your B2D Folder look like, and what does the media set that you are using for the D2D backup set to?

Change your B2D Folder to write smaller file increments, (example 10GB) depending on your data sizes etc. Also set it to pre-allocate the file sizes. It ensures a lot smoother duplicate job, and a lot faster too. It does not fragment the drive as much.

Also change your Media set that the B2D jobs are using to "non-appendable". Make sure the overwrite protection is set to 1day or longer.

Regards,

Francois

Skip_Tannen
Level 2
Francois,

I'm having similar problems so I've followed some of your recommendations.  The only thing I'm not sure of is how to
pre-allocate the file sizes - I'm not sure what that means or where to set this up.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Francois_Steyl
Level 4
Partner

Hi Skip.

The “pre-allocate” is when Backup Exec goes and pre-creates the complete *.bkf file.

So if you set your B2D device to use 10GB file sizes, it will create the 10GB file before the actual backup starts. The benefit to this is that the fragmentation on the disk is a lot less, even non existent. Needless to say the less fragmentation the better your disk performance.

If this setting is not ticked, the backup job will create the*.bkf file as it is backing up. This leads to huge fragmentation issues.

The performance also degrades when duplicating to tape, since BE is now reading from the disk where the fragmentation is high.

This setting is under the properties tab of the Backup to Disk folder. I do not have the GUI open in front of me so I am not sure about the exact wording. Look out for the “pre-allocate file sizes” selection, and select the tick. (Make the file sizes to your own preference. We use 10GB file sizes.(You can imagine how many files will be created when you have 2TB to backup, using 1GB file sizes))

Once you have done that, go to your Media Set tab and create / edit a Media set so that appendable = 0hours, and the protection is set to your preference. Now make sure that your backup Jobs that write to Disk uses the Media set you created / edited.

(Note that when your backup job start it might take some time before you see progress, as it firsts go and “prep” the disk.)

This should sort out the ADAMM issues you guys are experiencing.

Cheers

Skip_Tannen
Level 2
Francois,

I'm running 10d and I can't for the life of me find anything about pre-allocating.  I have set the B2D device to a maximum size of 10GB and no append so I'll see how it goes this weekend.

Thanks for all the good info.

Francois_Steyl
Level 4
Partner
Hi Skip.

Your post is under the 11d moderated forum so I assumed that you are running 11d. On BE 10d there is a patch that needs to be loaded to add this functionality. Once the patch is loaded follow the instructions in the following link to add the registery setting. (Patch is downloadable from this link)

Cheers

Skip_Tannen
Level 2
Thanks for the link Francois - my bad for posting to the wrong forum!  I'll check out the link and sheepishly log in to the 10d page....  :)

Francois_Steyl
Level 4
Partner
Hi Skip.

Smiley Very Happy No problem. Please keep this thread running still and provide your feedback here.

Thanks!