cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't eject tape...drive locked

steeve_p
Level 4
 I'm using an HP DAT 24x6 tape drive.  When I try to eject the tapes, I get a message on the LED saying that the tape can't be ejected.  I must go into Backup Exec, click on the drive, and select UNLOCK.  Why must I do this?  Is there a way to automate this??
Thanks

Steeve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shirmal
Level 5
 Remember that with a library, the last you want to have happen is have the inventory corrupted by removing tapes without letting the library know it.  
By "Unlocking", and subsequently "Locking" the library, you've notified Backup Exec that you've changed the Inventory, and it now needs to see what's changed.  If a barcode reader is installed in the library, this takes a matter of seconds.
Besides, locking your library prevents any "Unauthorized Access" to ALL of your valuable data on those tapes

Hope this helps

---Cheers

shirmal

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Rdave
Level 3
 I started having to unlock the tape drive when we purchased a Sony AIT-3 tape library - I think this is device specific, as I never had to do this when we used single DAT drives on each server. As far as I am aware, there is no way round this - you need to select Unlock each time in your backup software

Dave

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,
Open the ADAMM.LOG c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\logs\adamm.log and check the entry Changer = ...If its Manual, Backup Exec do not have any control on the eject operation...

shirmal
Level 5
 Remember that with a library, the last you want to have happen is have the inventory corrupted by removing tapes without letting the library know it.  
By "Unlocking", and subsequently "Locking" the library, you've notified Backup Exec that you've changed the Inventory, and it now needs to see what's changed.  If a barcode reader is installed in the library, this takes a matter of seconds.
Besides, locking your library prevents any "Unauthorized Access" to ALL of your valuable data on those tapes

Hope this helps

---Cheers

shirmal

lyon
Level 5
 yes ,it is so .because when you install veritas software with using  veritas drivers for all tape drivers.so the tape is specified to be used by veritas.so when veritas software is working.it lockes the tape driver.

it also works on tape library

Lyon