cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't overwrite Backup-to-Disk Folder

peterlandau
Level 3
I'm trying to do a full backup for each day of the week to Backup-to-Disk Folders. I setup a Backup-to-Disk folder for each day of the week. I setup a job for each day of the week to go to their respective Backup-to-Disk folder device. I try to set the options to overwrite for each job, but it isn't doing that. On the Device and Media settings of the jobs, "Overwrite Media" is selected, but the Media Set can only be set to "Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite".

The Backup-to-Disk Folders are growing every week. I see that there is a setting in the Properties of the Backup-to-Disk Folder for "Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file" is set to the default of 100. Could this be the thing that is blocking the overwrite? Should it be 1? If that's not it, what can I do?
12 REPLIES 12

savas_cucum
Level 3
i have a same problem :)

Savas

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do these backups contain GRT data?  if so, they will NOT obey the  standard overwrite rules, but will only overwrite when the Disk is full or the Disk Space Reserver has been met

You should still be able to set the Overwrite period at the media set level, it just won't take effect until one or the other condition has been met

peterlandau
Level 3
Gee, I don't know what GRT data is. I'm just backing up selected directories on a Windows Small Business Server and the Exchange IS, and also the Exchange mailboxes.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
GRT - Grandular Restore Technology

Lets you restore individual items from an Exchange stores backup.  An option that is enabled on the job description

Will create IMG folders, as opposed to just BKF files

savas_cucum
Level 3
Ken,

After Create IMG Folder, When next backup job start, dont overwrite the created IMG folder before, backup to new IMG folder.(While Media set set allow overwrite, Dont Append) 

Lets you check do it.

There is no documention for backup to disk folder for Public Folder or Exchange Information Store Backup.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yeah - GRT obeys it's own overwrite rules, not the standard one

peterlandau
Level 3
This all seems a little of subject of what I'm asking, but I suspect my original hunch is correct - and I will change the settings accordingly and see what happens. I think if I just set the setting for the device that is "Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file" to 1, then it will overwrite every time it runs. Or am I wrong?

Lively
Level 5
If you are using GRT, which it sounds like you are, it does not follow the normal rules.

The IMG folders are created for each Backup to Disk that you do involving GRT.  Those folders are only removed by backup exec when the drive/partition they are on is almost full.  At that time, Backup Exec pops up an alert, and will automatically clear out any IMG folders that are no longer in the time frame set for overwrite protect.

Some people run a script to clear them out every so often, others manually delete them.  I am giving Backup Exec another shot at cleaning them up after it didn't go quite as planned last time.

peterlandau
Level 3
Well, if that's the case, it sounds like a pretty bad flaw in the product. My 2 Terabyte NAS, which seemed like a nice way to have a lot of space available for future needs, is now a total waste. I only have 70 GB of total data to backup. Thought I could just do 6 sets - one for each day of the week, plus a monthly. By my calculations, that's 420 GB that I need. What a disappointment.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
So set the disk Space reserve (space reserved for non BackupExec files) on the B2D folder to (2TB-500 GB ) 1.5 TB

when the free space on the volume drops below that mark, BackupExec should start reusing/overwriting the IMG files   (make sure that the OPP for the media set is such that they have expired when this occurs)

joemama613
Not applicable
LIVELY - Can you give me an example of a script that you mentioned, that would clear out these img folders? I assume that prior to each nights backup, I can have the task manager run this script, and i will be fine.

Message Edited by joemama613 on 12-25-2007 12:35 PM

Lively
Level 5
I cannot give you an example of the script.

I just saw mentions of it here and other places while doing forum searches on why our IMG folders were backing up. 

The feeling I got, was that it was a script that could be scheduled to clear out the folders.  I know the Microsoft scripting guys page has recently had some script examples on how to delete folders that are older than X number of days.  That may help you. 

Scripting wise I can read it, understand it, but can't write crap.  So I just did a lot of looking around and realized it was not really the route I wanted to go.