cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can wildcard directory selections be used with RALUS agent?

Vincent_Poore
Level 3
I am trying to setup a backup job with a wild card at one of the directory levels. I have tried both one and two asterisks and I get Error: e000848c, The job failed with the following error: Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again

I've tried \\mylinuxhost\/usr/opt/oracle/admin/*/exp and \\mylinuxhost\/usr/opt/oracle/admin/**/exp
10 REPLIES 10

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Vincent!

does the backup without using wildcards work?

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Vincent_Poore
Level 3
Yes backups without wildcards work. Since my first post, I have discovered an interface quirk in how you input the Path.

I found that after clicking the "Advanced..." button. You can't just type in the path "\\mylinuxhost\/usr/opt/oracle/admin/*/exp". and press Ok. If you do so, you will get a backslash at the end instead of the normal Linux forwardslash. You can verify this by clicking the Text view and see your selection as "\\mylinuxhost\/usr/opt/oracle/admin/*/exp\*.*" I believe it is the backslash that was causing the e000848c error.

Instead you must at least navigate graphically through Remote Selections/Unix Agents/mylinuxhost/. When you click on , a slash will appear in the Path box. From there, you can type /usr/opt/oracle/admin/*/exp and press Ok. Now, the text view will show a proper selection with a forward slash just before the *.*, i.e., "\\mylinuxhost\/usr/opt/oracle/admin/*/exp/*.*".

I thought this would resolve the problem. The backup ends "successfully" but when you check the log it has not backed up anything but the directories up to and including admin. When I check the media the job used via a restore selection, the selection tree stops at admin and there are no actual files to restore.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
This has been a "quirk" for quite some time

As soon as you stick a wildcard in, that's it, you cannot then add a specific directory or specifc files after that.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello,

Let us know if the earlier provided solution has helped in resolving the issue.

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Vincent_Poore
Level 3
Since the documentation gives no indication that wildcards work differently for RALUS, there seems to be only two possible outcomes that would resolve the issue.

1-Update the documentation to match the RALUS behavior.
2-Update RALUS to support the features documented.

Could we get one of the above accomplished with the next release?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

What event id's you are getting in the event logs?

Vincent_Poore
Level 3
I'm fairly new to the product so I don't know where the event log is. I'm not sure your question is relevant anyway.

As you can see from Ken Putnum's post, this has been the behavior for quite some time. You should be able to reproduce the behavior and look at the event id's for yourself.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
We apologise for the late response.

Could you Update us on the Issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Vincent_Poore
Level 3
I am waiting for someone at Veritas to run the test case described in my post dated Mar 3, 2006 12:44 PM Mar 3, 2006 12:44 PM and then look at the event ids.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Run the sgmon before running the backup job.

How to create SGMON.LOG
<<>>