cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Backup Snap Server 2200

bobby_Hyam
Level 3
I have a Snap Server 2200 (www.snapappliance.com) which I have been backing up using a Windows 2000 Server and Symantec Backup Exec 10d fine, using the guidelines in KB237576 to do it as a user defined selection.

I have just moved backup to a new server running Windows Server 2003 SP1 and the same version of Backup Exec and I am unable to select the shares on the appliance for backup. The error given is:

'An error was encountered while attempting to browse the content of \\server\share. A device specific error occurred'

I have set the job up exaclty as it was on the old Windows 2000 machine, which worked fine.

One of our other engineers has suggested upgrading the software on the Snap Appliance, however Adaptec charge you for that so before I tell the customer that it is necessary I need to know that it will definitely fix the problem.
8 REPLIES 8

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Have you installed remote agent if yes please upgrade to 10d and verify.

Thanks,

bobby_Hyam
Level 3
I have inherited this account from another systems integrator so I don't know. How would I be able to find out? The Snap Appliance only provides a very simple web interface. It doesn't run Windows so I assume it is using some flavour of linux.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Did you install the RemoteAgent serial on the new media server? Even tho you cannot install any code on the SNAP server, BackupExec sees it as a ServerOS, ansd as such needs a RemoteAgent serial to connect

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Bobby,

Could you please update us and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

bobby_Hyam
Level 3
We are still unable to backup the device. Adaptec have multiple issues documented with this version of their software and Windows Server 2003 and we think we'll need to get the latest software update from them. The problem is that they charge for it if you don't have a valid support contract.

The customer is in the process of evaluating whether it will be more beneficial to upgrade the software, or just go out and buy a new server.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

If it is a trial Version of backup exec, you can download the latest Backup exec version and then just install the product without giving in the license number..

Thank You,

Shweta

bobby_Hyam
Level 3
It is the Adaptec software on the Snap Appliance that needs to be upgraded.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Have you downloaded the latest Backup exec version and then just installed the product without giving in the license number?

Regards,