cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Backup to rotating set of external usb disks

juerg_geiser
Not applicable
I have 4 huge external usb disks and want to rotate them on a weekly scheme: monday to friday with differential backup (appended), saturday full backup (appended). Monday morning change the usb hard disk (the new drive has the same drive letter G: ). After 4 weeks the first usb disk has to be rewritten by the new backups.

How can I do this with backup exec 9.1 (1 server) ? I know how to create a new removable Backup-To-Disk folder. But when I try to do this with each usb harddisk, I get errors for drive 2-4. And when I do not create folders on each disk, then I get a backup error when starting the incremental backup (error a000810d).

Can anyone explain the steps to install this scenario.

Thank you.
1 REPLY 1

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
This may happen if the following files are not available:
- folder.cfg
- changer.cfg

In order to isolate this issue, perform the following and verify the results.

a> Copy both the files to all the 3 remaining disk and verify the results.

b> Follow the steps:
- create the same folder on all the 4 disks on the same location. Make sure that when you do this the drive name for each disk should be same.

- Create a new removable backup to disk for the first disk.
- Remove the disk and put second disk. Create another removable backup to disk with another name. Delete the first removable backup to disk and then rename the second backup to disk to the same name as the first one.

- Repeat the same procedure for all the four disks. At the end of the process, you should be left with only one removable backup to disk and all the disks should relate only to that folder.

- After doing this try performing your backups as required and verify the results.

We hope this will help.