cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Connect To Domain Controllers

Tincan
Level 2
I have backup Exec 12.0. My AD consists of 2 domains D1 and D2. The Media Server sits in D1. Everything I try and backup in D1 and D2 works fine inc Exchange, SQL and SharePoint except D2 domain controllers. If I try and select them for a job it says access denied. The bexec account has full domain and Enterprise admin rights. I can back up D1 DC’s OK. I can telnet do D2 Dc’s OK and I get a smiley face so the Remote agent is working OK. Does anyone know what the problem is?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tincan
Level 2
I've sorted out the problem. I gave the Backup Exec account "logon as a batch job" rights on the DC's

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MitchR
Level 6
How are you authenticating to D2?  Do you have a trust configured?

If you have the exact same account name on both domains, each with the exact same password, you might still run into issues.  You might be better off (assuming you can't do a trust between domains) creating a local account on the agent computers and using that, as opposed to an account on either D1 or D2.

At any rate - authentication's your issue.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Domain controllers don't have local accounts though.

Tincan: I'd go with what MitchR is saying about having unique usernames in those domains and checking your trust, but I also assume that the account in domain D1 is in the Administrators group of domain D2? If not, do that. It should then work.

However, if you have to use 2 accounts, that's also an easy solution, and I use it on my side with no problems. Create an account: say, D1backup, and D2backup. Add D2backup into your service accounts list in Backup Exec on the backup server in question, and when you select a server, use the appropriate account.

Tincan
Level 2
As you point out DC’s don’t have local accounts. Both domains have full trust relationships. I have tried both an account on D1 with full domain and enterprise admin rights and an account on D2 with full domain and enterprise admin rights. Neither work. The trust access relationship works because I can back up other member servers inc SQL, Exchange and SharePoint from either D1 and D2. Plus users have full access.When I check the domain with dcdiag and repadmin they report no problems, so I presume AD is OK.

The only difference I can see between D1 and D2 dc’s is that D1 Dc’s are 2003 and D2 DC’s are 2008. All our servers except D1 Dc’s and the media server are 2008 64bit and these are 2003 32bit. I can’t see how that would affect anything, besides all the other 2008 servers are backed up fine. However that is the only difference.

Tincan
Level 2
I've sorted out the problem. I gave the Backup Exec account "logon as a batch job" rights on the DC's