cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Install Service Pack 1 for backup exec 10d

Luca_Salvatore
Level 5
When i try to install Service Pack 1 for backup exec 10d, it fails and the following error is logged in windows event viewer:
;
Product: Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers -- Error 1720.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action SetOEMEula.0B400D21_0933_47C3_86AE_B09DF0B01D80 script error -2146827859, Microsoft VBScript runtime error: ActiveX component can't create object: 'Scripting.FileSystemObject' Line 9, Column 1,

and this one

Product: Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers - Update '{CEC28FA2-8001-4246-97EA-371CA72DDCC1}' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1.PNB\LOCALS~1\Temp\MSIeb5f1.LOG.

please help.
7 REPLIES 7

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Make sure that the User using which you are logged-in is local administrator when you execute the install and that both the ADMINISTRATOR and the SYSTEM account have explicit full rights to the following:
C:Windows\Installer
C:\temp
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp

Also, you can refer to the below mentioned Microsoft article:

http://www.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175&SD=tech

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Luca_Salvatore
Level 5
I am logged on as the administrator. I have full permissions to everything on the system.

I have worked through every step of the above microsoft link and i still cannot install your service pack.

Luca_Salvatore
Level 5
I have also tried to run a repair install from the backup exec CD and it also fails with this error

Product: Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers -- Error 1720.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action SetOEMEula.0B400D21_0933_47C3_86AE_B09DF0B01D80 script error -2146827859, Microsoft VBScript runtime error: ActiveX component can't create object: 'Scripting.FileSystemObject' Line 9, Column 1,

this is getting beyond a joke.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
- Kindly copy the installation media to the local computer
- It could be that the MSI file Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers.msi has become because of some reason corrupt so we suggest you to right click on the file and select repair to repair the file and then rerun the setup!
Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Luca_Salvatore
Level 5
I have copied the installation files to the local machine and run a repair job. I get the same error:

'Error 1720. There is a problem with this windows installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Conatct your support personnel pr package vendor'

What else can i do?

Luca_Salvatore
Level 5
I have solved this problem. I went to the following microsoft link

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=887fce82-e3f5-4289-a5e3-6cbb818623aa&DisplayLang=en

and downloaded Windows Script 5.6 for Windows Server 2003. Once installed i was able to install Service Pack 1 for Backupexec 10d.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Luca !

Thank you for your link :)

We are closing this thread now.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.