cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot backup local machine, remote agent

jsteen1
Level 2
Hi,

I installed Veritas 9.1 on a local machine (windows2003) , I have no remote computers to backup.
When i started an backup i get the error message:

Device could not be backuped up because an error occurered while connecting to the remote Agent for Windows Servers.
make sure that the Remote Agent for Windows Servers is running on the target computer.

This means that I have to installed remote agent on a local machine to backup a local machine??

greetings,

Jos
6 REPLIES 6

Ranjith_Parat_2
Level 3
Certified
Although local backup selections are made, Backup Exec treats the backup operation like a remote backup because it must go through the remote agent.

Refer the following to resolve the issue:

1)Make sure that the Backup Exec Remote agent for Windows service is running with the local system account.

2)
a)Go to Tools | Options, and then select Job Defaults

Select Network

b)Under Default Network and Network Interface, select the network adapter from the list

c) The IP information will automatically be displayed when an adapter is selected

d) Select the Use any available network route for Remote Agents not bound to the above Network ID option

3)Create a new backup job and verify the results.

jsteen1
Level 2
Hi,

1. The backup remote agent is started in services.
2. The IP information is not displayed when I my adapter selected, my server have an Ip-adres and subnet
mask. The fields are empty.

Ranjith_Parat_2
Level 3
Certified
Refer Fig 2 of this article
http://support.veritas.com/docs/256120

cheers,

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
We suggest you to follow the steps given below and verify the results.

Title:- Local Backup or Restore with VERITAS Backup Exec 9.x (tm) fails with error: "Remote Agent not detected on Servername" and "Device could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to the Remote Agent for Windows Servers. Make sure that the Remote Agent for Windows Servers is running on the target computer."
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/267345.htm

Also please make sure that the Backup Exec Remote Agent Service is running properly before you attempt the Backup Job.

This should help :)

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
check if the port 10000 is in use by any other application, do the following:

1. At the command prompt, type NETSTAT -A

2. Look for TCP :10000 :0 LISTENING.

3. Go to Services, and stop the Backup Exec Remote agent for NT/2000 service. The previous listing will be missing.

4. If it exists, then some other application is using that port.

Make sure beremote.exe(remote agent) is using port 10000.

Incase the port is not in use by any other application, follow the steps below:

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

Check the Properties on Raws in services - path to executable should be:
C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\beremote.exe

Incase its showing following path

Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\Rant\BeRemote.exe.

Open regedit32:
HKLM\System\Current Control Set\Services\Backup Exec Agent Accelerator,

If the Image Path Value is = C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\Rant.

Change the path to C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT.

-Stop and restart BE Services.
--Run backup of local machine.

Aalok_Pathak_2
Level 6
Let us know if the issue remains unresolved.