cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot generate SSPI context error

Neil_Behagg
Level 2
Hi all,

Recently I joined a server running Backup Exec 9.1 to the domain, which caused it to stop the backup exec services from running. This came down to not being able to access the backup exec sql server; using Windows authentication gives the 'Cannot generate SSPI context error'. I do not know the sa password either, as this system was set up before my time and wasn't documented.

I have tried numerous attempts to sort out the windows authentication SSPI error but to no avail. If anyone has any ideas that I can try, or if you know what the default sa password is (I don't know if it is still the default or if its been changed, but its worth a try) it would be much appreciated.

So far I have tried removing the server from the domain, also done a lot of research online and have tried to follow through the MS knowledgebase articles on the problem. Tried checking the spn entries which seem ok (I deleted one that didn't look right but no effect). The protocols within sql are set for pipe first then tcp. The SQL services use the localsystem account. The server uses the windows time service and clock is set correctly. I cannot uninstall and reinstall backup exec because it complains about the SSPI error.

Thanks in advance for any assistance in this.
3 REPLIES 3

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Is the backup Exec database installed on a remote SQL machine?

Have you already checked out the following document:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811889

Neil_Behagg
Level 2
Hi,

The database is on a local machine. I have been following the mentioned MS knowledgebase article but am yet to resolve this.

Is there a way to forcefully change the sa password without knowing what it currently is? This would at least help in getting the backups going again.

Thanks for any help,

Neil.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

What are the related event id's you are getting in the event logs?

Regards,