cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot make a connection between Media server to remote server.

Daren_Husk
Level 2

I have a Server 2003 R2, I can't make a trust connection to this server. 

I have tried to push install the remote software.

A manual install of software from the server's C: drive.

Error code: V-79-57344-33899

The login used is the same for our other 15 servers and I can see no difference from this server to the others. I can see from forums etc. that it is a credentials issue maybe.

When testing the credentials, "A communications failure as occured", have tried another admin account & still the same error.

I 've hit the wall now, if the server wasn't a virtual server I would of dragged it out the rack & throw it out the window by now. Help...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Daren_Husk
Level 2

What gets me is, why I can't see the C: & D: drive. The software is installed on the remote server. I have tried all of the above suggestion & none have worked.

Disable R3 security, is not really a option as it is only one server out of 20 that is failing, when I click establish trust relationship. nothing happens, no error message at all.

When I try and add it to favorite resources nothing happens again, although it can detect that the server has the agent installed.

When I look into the properties of the server selection list, I can see the C: & D: drive, along with the shared folder, but when I test the resource credentials, it fails...

Deleted everything to do with Symantec from the Remote server, in the registy as well. 

Pushed the client again & lo & behold, the server made the relationship.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I would suggest to manualy install the remote agent. See technote below how to do this.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH91735

Then configure the backup job to use your new service account to use for backup and see if that works fine.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Also, do check if port 10000 is free or not on the remote server...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

It can happen if your firewall blocks the RAWS agent on the remote server, or if you have an AV that might actively block the RAWS agent from being installed, so check those out too. If need be, add your BESA account as a local admin on that server.

Thanks.

@ZeRoC00l: The OP has already tried to do a manual installation!

Daren_Husk
Level 2

Hi, 

Have tired the manual install, with a second account still no luck. The install works fine when run from the remote server, the problem is the connection between the server and the media server.

When I browse to the server in question, all I can see are the shared folders of that server, no C: or D. drive.

We have a hardware firewall, so the firewall on this server is inactive, so all ports are open....

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you confirmed port 10000 is not in use by any other application ?

Also, are you able to see the drives when adding this remote server as an user-defined selection  ?

CraigV

Just open up the BE RAWS utility on the server in question and make sure that it publishing correctly to your media server, and that there aren't any other servers listed. Restart the RAWS agent and check again.

Daren_Husk
Level 2

Sorry, but how can I confirm the port is open, kinda of been dropped in the deep end with this.

No drives when I try a User Defined Selection..

There was a bunch of other servers listed in the BE Raws, just the media server now.

Still no luck, fails on credentials, the same login that we use to as admin to the server....

Huge thanks in advance, very much a novice here...

CraigV

You'd check on the firewall if 1 was working on the server. Alternatively try a telnet to that port.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are using R3, you can try disabling the R3 security.

Disable R3 security

However, note that when you disable the R3 security you are vulnerable to the man-in-the-middle attack.

Daren_Husk
Level 2

What gets me is, why I can't see the C: & D: drive. The software is installed on the remote server. I have tried all of the above suggestion & none have worked.

Disable R3 security, is not really a option as it is only one server out of 20 that is failing, when I click establish trust relationship. nothing happens, no error message at all.

When I try and add it to favorite resources nothing happens again, although it can detect that the server has the agent installed.

When I look into the properties of the server selection list, I can see the C: & D: drive, along with the shared folder, but when I test the resource credentials, it fails...

Deleted everything to do with Symantec from the Remote server, in the registy as well. 

Pushed the client again & lo & behold, the server made the relationship.