cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Files and/or folders from current backup tapes

Mech820
Level 2

This might be a silly question, but our staff lawyer is asking whether it is possible to delete files or folders from our backup jobs that we have already run.  We backup a months worth of information, Full backups every weekend with differential backups during the week.  Thank you in advance for you time helping me!

3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6

Not from a tape directly, no you cannot.

You either erase the entire tape, or not backup the data you want an ultra-low retention on.

I have a customer that doesn't backup exchange and users have a 30day retention in their mailboxes.  All they use is Exchange 2010 with DAG.  The Exch and storage admin love this policy.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot delete individual files or mail from a backup set whether it is on tape or on disk.  I hope that your lawyer knows what he/she is asking for.  Deleting a file from a backup is equivalent to shredding a document.

Mech820
Level 2

Thanks for the replies!  I figured this would be the answer.  Our lawyer is asking this in regards to Non Disclosure Agreements, the section called Return/Destroy.  We might be obliged to destroy our backups if we have such data that is covered in an NDA on our backups.  But, in the future, I am going to set an exclusion for a particular folder, that we will setup, so that it wont backup with our regular backup schedule.