cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot restore to a Linux system

Bob_Fera
Level 3
I'm trying to restore some files to a Linux (Red Hat Enterprise 3) system, but I'm getting an "Unable to attach to one of the drives" error. I've done a bunch of searching, but can't find anything that seems to apply to my case (password wrong, agent not running, etc.) Since this is a restore, clearly the backups of the system are working, :) which indicates that the passwords are correct, etc. I've found some documents that mention TCP port 10000, but the Linux system is not listening on that port (it's using 8192). Could that have something to do with it? I've been unable to find documentation that really explains what the communication protocols are between the media server and the Linux agent. Is there something I'm missing?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob
15 REPLIES 15

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Bob,

The Linux Agent should listen to Port 10000 to be able to connect to the media server and vice-versa. Make sure it listens to Port 10000.

Also check the "Follow local mount points" and "Follow remote mount points" tabs in Tools>Options>Linux/Unix

Bob_Fera
Level 3
Hi,

Thanks for the reply...

None of my Linux agents are listening on port 10000, while my Windows agents are. The Linux agents are all listening on 8192. I can find nothing in any documentation that mentions any reason why the agent would not be listening on 10000, and there seems to be nothing to configure in that regard.

Any ideas why the Linux agents are not listening on 10000? Have I missed something?

Thanks,

Bob

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document:

How to determine the Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP) port status on the remote Linux (Redhat) system in Backup Exec 10.x for Windows Servers.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/284362

Thank You,

Shweta

Bob_Fera
Level 3
Thanks, Sweta.

I ran the nmap command, and port 10000 does not show up. And there's definitely nothing listening on it according to netstat.

Also, I neglected to mention that I'm running v9.1 of Backup Exec, not 10. Could that be part of the problem? Are there known issues with 9.1 and Linux?

Bob

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Bob,

Irrespective of the version the Agent has to listen to Port 10,000 for communication. Make sure that beremote.exe listens to port 10000 or if it is listening to some other port then change this port on all remote servers as well as the BE server.

Bob_Fera
Level 3
I verified that the only port the agent is listening on is 8192. I guess it uses this port for backups (because they work fine). What do I do to the agent in order to get it to listen on 10000? I can't find any configuration settings that talk about what port it listens on. Do I need to add a line for 10000 to /etc/services perhaps?

Bob

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Below is the technote which explains how to change the port

(title) How to change the port that Network Data Management Protocol uses in Backup Exec for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255498

Thanks

Bob_Fera
Level 3
This document (which refers only to Windows agents) says to change the etc/services file, so I tried that on my Linux system. I added the following line:

ndmp 10000/tcp

Then I restarted the agent. However it is still not listening on port 10000. The only port that I can attribute to the agent is 8192. Can anyone please tell me why the Linux agent is not listening on 10000?

Thanks,

Bob

STeve_O
Level 5
If you using the legacy linix agent then port 10000 is not used. Only with the RALUS unix agent.

Have you checked name resolution when trying to restore back to the server.
Enabled SGMON or any debug logs

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

Thank you,

Shweta

Bob_Fera
Level 3
Hi,

Well, I'm using the Linux agent that came with my BackupExec 9.1 distribution, so I guess that's the "legacy" agent?

According to the previous post, the legacy agent doesn't use 10000 (again, I see it listening only on 8192). So, then, given the version of BackupExec that I'm running, does anyone know what could be wrong? (To reiterate, backups work, so the media server is able to talk to the agent in some form.) Is this a known issue with 9.1? Should I just look into upgrading to version 10? Or is there a way to upgrade only the Linux agents, perhaps?

Thanks again for all your thoughts...

Bob

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Could you also check if the port 6101 is opened. this is the GRFS port used by the legacy linux agent.

Hope it helps!

Bob_Fera
Level 3
Yes, 6101 is open. There are no port restrictions between the Linux agent machine and the media server, and 6101 is listed in /etc/services.

Regards,

Bob

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Bob,

Is ICMP open as well?

Let us know

Thanks
Regards

Bob_Fera
Level 3
Yes. There are no IP restrictions between the two machines. They are on the same subnet.