cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot run backup with windows guest os on esxi 4.1 host to connected sas drive

supportLAG
Level 2

My setup

Dell 710 with lto4HH dirve connected via SAS to a dell sas 5/e hba (this card has a             

LSI LSISAS1068 processor)

Host os is esxi 4.1 (free version)

Guest os win2008r2

Backup Exec (Trial  version until I can prove this will work)   can see the drive and can perform inventory and catalog of the drive I can also rename the tape and preform a test run of a backup job but when running a backup job I receive the fallowing error.

v-79-57344-34041

Thank you and have a great day.

4 REPLIES 4

bestpartner
Not applicable
Partner

Check backupexec job engine and backupexec remote agent for windows servers services are running or not?

If not start the services and try running the job.

You can also try creating a new job. 

supportLAG
Level 2

Thank you fro the reply. I checked the services and they were running but I restarted all Backup Exec services any way but still have the same results. I can do a test run and label the tape but cannot run a backup job. This is the same with a scheduled job or with a onetime backup just picking a couple of files.

Thank you for the sugestions.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Hold on..  Guest OS, connecting to physical tape, attached via host?

Not supported.  You are on your own to get that to work.  Symantec has pretty strict rules on what config they have tested and gotten to work, and your config is not it.  

That said, it's some sort of communication issue between guest, hypervisor, host, and physical connectivity.  Where the problem lies is gonnga be tough to troubelshoot.  I would recommend you cross post this in the VMWare forums for ideas.  

supportLAG
Level 2

This is the answer that I was afraid of( and thought I might get). I will have to look into setting up a extra box to work as a backup server.