cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot select remote SQL database for backup

Gordon_Brown_2
Level 3
Partner
Windows 2008 Server running BE 12.5 with all patches.
We have remote agent & SQL agent.
Tried to "push" remote agent to a Server 2008 system running SQL 2008, but got the usual "RPC unavailable remote registry blah blah" message, so installed the RAWS64 agent on the remote server manually.
Now, when I try to create the backup selection list, I can see the remote server, but don't get the option to select the SQL databases.  If I look on the media server, I see the SQL option, so the agent is definitely installed.
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
See the Admin Guide page 317 for the requirements for SQL Agent

Does the BackupExec service account have SQL Admin rights?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you post a screen shot of selections that you see for the remote SQL server? Also, make sure that Backup Exec logon account has local administrator rights on the SQL server.

Thanks

Gordon_Brown_2
Level 3
Partner
The Backup Exec Service Account is a member of the Backup Operators Group on the SQL server, and has sysadmin permission as descried in the admin guide on page 1350.  I manually gave the account read permission on the registry keys required.
The selection list looks like this:

BEprob.JPG

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
try uninstalling the SQL license and install it again
you can do that by going to tools | install options and license key |
remove the license key complete the wizard and install it back again
restart the services and see if you are able to see the DB in the selection

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Is SQL clustered? If yes, please check the virtual node for backup of databases, after making sure that remote agent is installed on all the nodes involved in the cluster. Also, make sure correct version of Remote Agent is installed on the target server. The kind of name, your server has, i am guessing there is a SQL cluster.

Thanks

Gordon_Brown_2
Level 3
Partner
SQL is not clustered.
The SQL server is a guest VM on a Hyper-V host, though, but I can't see that making a difference.  It certainly shouldn't! 
Backup Exec is installed on a separate, physical, server.
If I open SQL management studio on another physical system, I can browse to, and manage,  the SQL instance on the VM.  Plus, of course, the application is working fine.  It's just Backup Exec that can't see it.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Do you have a file bedssql2.dll on the SQL server? Please check for this file on c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\RAWS folder.

Thanks

Gordon_Brown_2
Level 3
Partner
Yes, bedssql2.dll is on the SQL Server.
I've re-installed the agent from the command line, and it's still the same.  The agent is on the SQL server, but if I look at the properties of the SQL server from the backup server, it says the agent isn't installed.
this is driving me nuts!

Gordon_Brown_2
Level 3
Partner
As I said earlier "The Backup Exec Service Account is a member of the Backup Operators Group on the SQL server, and has sysadmin permission as descried in the admin guide on page 1350.  I manually gave the account read permission on the registry keys required."
As a test, I decided to make the Backup Exec Service Account a member of the Administrators group on the SQL server.  Everything now works the way I would expect it to.
Therefore, there must be some other requirements over and above those mentioned in the Guide.  I don't want the Service Account to be a local admin, so any info on what these requirements are would be much appreciated.
Gordon

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
The backup exec service account must also have additional permissions, just backup operators group may not be helpful. It needs following two additional privileges to be granted through local security policy:
  • Log on as a service.
  • Act as part of the operating system

Please try adding these permissions, if that helps. But, local administrators is something we recommend. Admin guide mentions the minimum requirement, but most of the times it does not work with those minimum permissions, specially when database agents are involved.

Thanks

Gordon_Brown_2
Level 3
Partner
I gave the Backup Exec Service Account those rights on the database server, and it still didn't work.  It only works with local admin permission.
When are you going to publish an Administrator's Guide that contains the accurate information?  Has anyone passed up the food chain the fact that the current Admin Guide is inaccurate?  If not, how do I do that?
Does anyone know what permissions are actually required?  Just setting it as a local administrator is really bad practice.
Thanks
Gordon