cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Error - ODBC access error

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
This is a new installation, no error messages during install. I had to dink around with the SCSI drivers and system firmware for a couple of weeks to get my new tape drive working, then I tried an "Inventory" on a new tape. That's when I got the "Catalog Error - ODBC access error. Possible lost connection to database or unsuccessful access to catalog index in the database."
I have successfully backed up a few files, verified them, and even renamed the tape. But every time I do an Inventory, I get this message. How do I fix my catalog?

Here is another message from my System Event Log that happens after the Catalog Error:
Event Type:Error
Event Source:Backup Exec CatErrorHandler Server
Event Category:None
Event ID:34326
Date:1/4/2007
Time:9:57:00 AM
User:N/A
Computer:TAG4
Description:
Access to catalog index (Catalog index database) failed.
Reason: Numeric value out of range cat_RecordSet::Open()
e:\crete\6235r\becat\segodbc\seg_odbc.cpp(2395)
{CALL UpdateCatMedia( ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) }

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

Also, the Inventory operation says its successful afterwards. :-/Message was edited by:
Sherry Bayless
7 REPLIES 7

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Sherry

Try repairing the Backup Exec database with the Backup Exec Utility. Maybe there is some kind of corruption.

Regards

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
How do I do that? I used to know how back in v.8.5, but everything's different now. I did not see anything under Tools to repair the database.
Thanks for your help!

David_Campbel2
Level 2
I have a very similar issue. The installation seeming to be faultless apart from the the SCSI drivers whiuch we re-installed to fix.

The error we get has the same event ID biut happens every 6 hours when the auto index/check occurrs.

Access to catalog index (Catalog index database) failed.
Reason: Data type mismatch cat_RecordSet::GetField()
e:\crete\6235r\becat\segodbc\seg_odbc.cpp(3326)
SELECT DISTINCT MediaGuid, MediaSide, MediaFamilyGuid From ImageObjectView WHERE ImageObjectView.BackupDate < ? AND ImageObjectView.PlugInType = ? AND PartitionID = ? ORDER BY MediaFamilyGuid

We also get an event ID 34338 immediately after it:

Backup Exec Alert: Catalog Error
(Server: "UKLDNFS05") ODBC access error. Possible lost connection to database or unsuccessful access to catalog index in the database.

We have run the tool mentioned by David with no success. Also we find that stopping and starting the services along with the MSSQL BKUPEXEC service does not show any errors, indeed backupo sets are added or deleted with just an informational event.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
Repairing the database with BEUtil did not help. :( It still gives me both of those errors every time I do an Inventory.

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Another cause is that the catalogs folder (by defalult, in \Catalogs, you can check this in Tools -> Options -> Catalogs) is damaged. Try these steps:

1. Stop Backup Exec services
2. Rename the Catalogs folder to Catalogs1
3. Create a new Catalogs folder with the original name (Catalogs)
4. Start Backup Exec services
5. Launch Backup Exec and check Alerts and the Windows Event Viewer Application log for the error.

Test again backing up and restoring.

Regards

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
I think I just had a screwy tape, or I somehow made it screwy by attempting to Label Media while my tape drive was having SCSI timeouts. It kept coming up as #881something every time I would load it. Even though I tried to Label it "Monday". :\ When I used a different new tape, did Inventory, and then Label Media, it worked ok. I finally managed to get the screwy one Labelled to something normal, and now it seems to be working too.

So I'd suggest not Labelling your tapes starting with #, that gives you an ODBC error %-).

Thanks for y'all's help!

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
You might try checking your tape Labels, leave out any special chars. Or just do a Label Media on one of them as a test. I think that fixed mine.