cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog succeeds but won't restore

Level 2
I'm trying to restore data from a previous install of Backup Exec. Depending on how old the tape is, it might be version 10 or even 9. Inventory works, Catalog completes normally and shows that data was read, but when you subsequently attempt to restore from the tape, the message comes up telling you that you have to catalog. So somehow a tape catalog is not actually being created. Yes I've tried more than one tape. I've even tried a different tape device.

This has always worked fine before (the horrible) v11d.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Level 2

I was disinclined to mess up the current catalogs so I made a tech support call. It turns out that there is a checkbox that is checked by default that tells restore jobs not to look at catalogs in the old format (prior to the software install date for 11D). I normally right-click on the tape from which I want to restore and select the files from there, and that checkbox is not displayed unless you click on Restore from the main screen. So instead of getting a message saying that no catalog exists, now it shows the catalogs for all the old tapes that I've run a catalog job for. It appears that once that checkbox is deselected, it stays that way. So I should be able to restore using my normal process.

Thanks for your suggestion.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
More a workaround than a fix but try this

shut down BackupExec services
rename the \Catalogs folder (to \Catalogs.sav for example)
restart backup exec
inventory
catalog
restore

(Don't forget to swap the real catalog back  before the next production run)

Level 2

I was disinclined to mess up the current catalogs so I made a tech support call. It turns out that there is a checkbox that is checked by default that tells restore jobs not to look at catalogs in the old format (prior to the software install date for 11D). I normally right-click on the tape from which I want to restore and select the files from there, and that checkbox is not displayed unless you click on Restore from the main screen. So instead of getting a message saying that no catalog exists, now it shows the catalogs for all the old tapes that I've run a catalog job for. It appears that once that checkbox is deselected, it stays that way. So I should be able to restore using my normal process.

Thanks for your suggestion.