cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalogging

Randy_Duly
Level 3

Is there anyway to automatically catalog the backup when there is a successful completion of a backup? We do a B2D type of backup.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Is there anyway to automatically catalog the backup when there is a successful completion of a backup? We do a B2D type of backup 

Unless something is  broken, this is what is supposed to happen.  If you have no catalogo info after a successful backup either to tape or disk, then you need to place a incident with support

Randy_Duly
Level 3

Let me understand this correctly, so that I can tell the guy before me that he might be an idiot. Actually I really won't do that, but you are saying that when a backup is done and is succuessful it automatically create a catalog.

Because this what we have been doing for a last couple of years. The first thing we do when we come in is check to ensure a successful backup run and then go to the Device tab and find our backup that just ran and right-click on it and select "Catalog" to run a catalog run.

Is this right or incorrect?

Thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The job itself is supposed to do this

To verify, open the Restore Selection menu and click on any resource that was in the job.  You should see last night's job listed as one selection

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 01-14-2009 11:41 AM

Randy_Duly
Level 3

I verified this and it is as you say. So the next question is, "When do you do a Catalog run or why if it is already being done when a successful backup completes." Excuse my ignornace while I try to understand this whole  process. Thanks!

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

You might need to do a catalog job in the following circumstances:

1) You have a large number of catalogs, and you have set BE to prune old ctalogs to save space. Now you want to restore from an old backup, which has had its catalog pruned.

2) You are importing media that was backed up on another system

3) You are doing a disaster recovery, and reimporting catalogs into a fresh installation of BE

4) BE has had a problem and you have removed the catalogs in your troubleshooting efforts

5) Some other reason

Have a look at http://www.backupexecfaq.com/articles/concepts/what-are-catalogs.html