cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cataloging of old tapes results in error "incorrect block size"

Calis
Level 4

Hi Guys, I have a bunch of tapes I need cataloging that where in my old HP MSL6030 library running a HP Ultirum 3 drive being backed up byBE 2012.

I am cataloging them on a different server using an IBM LTO TD3 drive SCSI drive also with BE 2012.
I have succesfully cataloged about 20 tapes from the same library but I have about 8 that immediatly fail with:

Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe00084f3 - The block size being used is incorrect. Final error category: Backup Device Errors.

I checked the block size of the old tape drive with the new and both are 64k.

I have followed this Tech article and dont believe its a SCSI issue or tape drive issue.

I have reinstalled the drive just to be sure.

I'm 100% cetain I have data on these tapes but Im not sure what my options are now.

Cheers,

Calis

5 REPLIES 5

lmosla
Level 6

check for Window System log file errors: Event ID's 5,7,9,11,15 These errors point to hardware errors

do a full power cycle of the tape drive: 

1. Power Off the Server completely 
2. Power off the Tape Drive then 
3. Power on the Tape Drive  wait till it is at a 'Ready' State then
4. Power on the Server

Check Windows Events for System Errors: Event ID's 5,7,9,11,15 These errors point to hardware errors:

also make sure you are updated to the most recent Service Pack.  There have been hotfixes released regarding catalog errors.  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you still have your old media server and tape drive, catalog these error tapes again.

Calis
Level 4

alas they are both gone pkh.

Calis
Level 4

imosla I tried your instructions but no joy.

Interestingly it wlil inventory the tape and I can see how mucn data is being used but still get the same block size incorrect error.

thanks.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

To confirm: both environments are using good old regular, parallel SCSI? (not SAS)?

What HBA are you using?  make sure it is not a RAID HBA (unless it is one of the officially supported ones at http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70907 )