cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catlog Media taking forever

1ontheriver
Not applicable
Hi,

I am trying to restore data off a tape recorded using backup exec version 10. The machine I am using to restore is Windows XP 32 bit SP2 running Backup exec version 11D. I first selected "inventory" on the drive which ran fine. Then I selected "Catalog" . It started off as "queued" for around 6 minutes. When it finally started "Running" it reported a byte count of 2,831,564,795   and Job rate of 10000 MB/min. This job rate is slowly reducing over time and the byte count is not moving. It has been running for 16 hrs now with the rate per min at 1mb/min. Surely something is wrong?

I tried with a different server entirely, same scsi card, same drive but running windows 2003 server. Same problem. I tried to catalog a different tape but while the byte count was different it still sits the running forever and a day

Please advise  :)
1 REPLY 1

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
The byte counts when catalogging only appear to increment when it gets to the end of a backup set. As a result the counters and transfer rate aren't accurate.
Whether it's still going or not depends upon the size of your backup sets and the read rate of your hardware.
I wouldn't expect it to take that long though...