cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Backup Exec 9.1 Rev. 4691 to 11d

Thomas_Bilbrey
Level 2
I'm getting ready to upgrade from Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 Rev 4691 to Symantec Backup Exec 11d.  Does anyone know whether I will be able to upgrade to 11d without having to go to 10x?  I would like to keep my current catalogs so I'm am looking to do an upgrade, but looking for any pitfalls that I might encounter. 
3 REPLIES 3

Michael_O_Con3
Level 3
I upgraded one server from 9.1 4691 to Backup Exec 11d QuickStart Edition. QE requires performing the upgrade in demo mode, then typing in the key after installation is complete.

The catalogs were upgraded intact, as were backup/restore jobs & selection lists.

The registry/configuration tweaks that were previously done to 9.1 were ignored/overwritten, so I had to go back in and make those changes again. I had to change an ADAMM registry key for it to work with that changer, etc.

Utility (Cleaning, Inventory, Erase, etc.) jobs did not migrate cleanly - they were still in the job list, but would always fail. I just recreated those. In a similar vein I also deleted & recreated device groups, but I don't know if I had to - since I was recreating the utility jobs I just went ahead and did it anyway.

Obviously it'd be a good idea to pull a disk or image the server prior to the upgrade. And the 9.1 Agent for Windows is incompatible with 11, so remote clients/servers will need to be upgraded too.

Thomas_Bilbrey
Level 2
Thank you for the prompt response. 

I plan on taking vmconverter and making an image of my be server prior to upgrading.  But I will not have my fiber channel to my tape so I will not be able to check my b/u jobs.  I did plan that I might have delete and recreate them, but I wasn't sure. 

I just recieved all of my agent update codes and plan to update them all to 11d.  I'm not sure if I will need to take this to a another tread or not, but I have SQL, Exchange, and Oracle agents I plan on upgrading as well, but when it comes to the agents, I plan on uninstalling and reinstalling fresh for each of them.  We will see.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Good luck! Smiley Happy