cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Tape Drive

Ron_Floyd
Level 4
Can someone help me to get the Veritas Tape update to install a driver on a Windows 2003 Enterprise server ?
Get the following error when trying to access a newly installed Sony AIT3 drive:

"Job started : Monday, January 22, 2007 6:39:07 PMJob ended : Monday, January 22, 2007 6:39:16 PMFinal error: 0xa0008101 - Invalid Physical Volume Library Argument.
Final error category: System ErrorsCompleted status: Failed"

Windows 2003 Ent Sp1
BackupExec v9.1 4691 sp5
Tape Install BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall_273853.exe
IBM X235 6GB RAM
Adaptec 39160
Sony AIT3 tape drive

Changed from 4mm DAT to Sony AIT3.

Made the mistake of installing Sony's device driver.
Running the device wizard from Tools/Wizards in the product will not change the driver. I've even removed Sony's device drivers off the disk and had the tape drive in device mgr as unknown. Still would not change/install driver.

Downloaded tape device exe (above) but it will not install. Get a msg reading "This wizard was interrupted..". Checked web site and read articles but I don't believe backupexec is in need of repair.

I just think I need to change the tape device drivers ?

Thanks

Ron
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
here is the latest v9.1 device driver pack

run it once and tell it to remove all devices it finds
boot
verify from Windows Device manager that the drive does not appear (cancel the AutoInstall if it pops up)
Run TapeInst again and let it install the Veritas Drivers

Ron_Floyd
Level 4
Thank you very much for the reply. But it did not have a link ?

Also, how do you find these files. Since Symantec has had the product, the website is terrible in my opinion. Veritas's was much better and easier to directly find what you wanted.

Ron

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
try here http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

I agree about the "new and improved" search engine and search page. To get this I entered "device driver", filtered for v9.1 and downloads only

Be sure to use the link to "Rate this Page" and enter your bitchMessage was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Jenny_Newcomb
Not applicable
I too was having this exact problem with the same drive. I have followed the instructions posted and am finally backing up via tape again!!!! THANKS!

And I too agree the veritas site is difficult at best.

Ron_Floyd
Level 4
Thanks again.

No luck for me, though. The same error message trying to run the tape device driver executable. I ran MSConfig and disabled all non Microsoft services and rebooted and still no luck.

I think I will remove and reinstall product.

I also need to remove the Sony tape drivers.

Thanks again,
Ron