cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changeing Overwrite Protection Time on Current Mediasets

CeCe
Level 2
We have a large installation of Backupexec 9.1, that have been replaced by a newer one.

The both backup systems are on different machines and on different tapes, and hardware.

We have the new machine in production but we have lots of old backuptapes that we have to keep, and be able to restore.

I want to change the Overwrite Protection time on the Mediasets that I have.

I was thinking that I just went in and changed the value on the Mediasets and then insert all the tapes once in the changer and this will be fixed. Does backupexec store any of this information on the tapes or is this only in the database.

Any suggestions how I do this, do I need to do this ?

Regards
Mats
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds like it's a little late now, but you could have copied the old  info to the new machine, then installed on top, and all your old tapes would retain their OPP dates and media sets

If you inventory and catalog an old tape on the new system, you can then move it to the appropriate media set, and it will take on the OPP as of that date.  That is, if you move Tape A into media set 123, which has an OPP of three weeks, you will not be able to Overwrite that tape for 22 days

CeCe
Level 2
The old media will never be inserted to the new backup system.

this is a precaution that was recommended from the guy who installed the new Backup system, only so we do not overwrite them, I was thinking that I only have to put the tapes in Readonly and don't care what the OOP says. But maybe there is something I do not understand

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Unless a tape is Inventoried and Cataloged, the new system knows nothing about it, so changing any media set properties on the new system will have no effect on how it treats the tapes created by the old system

You could set the Global Media Management option to "Full" which will keep the new system from Overwriting imported tapes (tapes created by a different system, BackupExec or other)

See the Admin Guide page 270