cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the Computer Name on the Media Server

Chaplain_Doug
Level 4

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2.  Backup Exec 2010 R3.

I installed the BE 2010 R3 on a computer that I had named GNHostF, which also serves as the BE media server.  I changed the computer name to GNFHost and rebooted (which is required when you change computer name).  The BE servcies (BE Job Engine and BE Server in particular) would not restart.  I suspect that is due to the computer name change and the services looking for GNHostF instead of GNFHost.  I changed the name back, rebooted, and BE services came back up fine.  What do I need to do to be able to change the computer name and have BE continue to work?  Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it's not in use at all so delete it. It keeps things cleaner in the long run!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

After changing the server name you need to update Backup Exec database with the new server 

name. Update BEDB through BEUtility.exe

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38988

Chaplain_Doug
Level 4

Please see the screen shot below.  I have successfully changed the name of my media server from GNHostF to GNFHost.  I performed the "Update configuration for new media server name" operation in BEUtility.  But as you can see below, the old server name still shows with status unknown and a question mark.  Can I safely perform a "Delete Media Server" operation on the old server name in BEUtility?  Thanks for the guidance.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I would leave the old server name as it is if its not causing any issues.

If you want to delete then I would suggest you to make a copy of the DATA folder and then proceed

with the deletion. In case after deletion if you come across any issue you may reload the older database.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it's not in use at all so delete it. It keeps things cleaner in the long run!

Chaplain_Doug
Level 4

I deleted it this morning.  Thanks for the reply.