cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checkpoint file error in SQL Server with BE v9.1

Jason_Hunsberge
Level 2
Hello, we've run into this problem on several of our servers and it causes Backup Exec 9.1 jobs to fail. After a week or so the backup services completely fail and I have to restart them. This is on a Small Business Server 2003 running BE v9.1. The error messages encountered are:

Veritas Event ID: 57859 "An error occurred while executing the following query: " ... "Database 'SBSMonitoring' cannot be opened. It has been marked SUSPECT by recovery."

Then in the SQL Log is says: "I/O error on backup or restore restart-checkpoint file 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SBSMONITORING\backup\master4IDR.ckp'. Operating System error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.). The statement is proceeding but is non-restartable."

And if I go to the file system to look for that file there isn't a backup folder under MSSQL$SBSMONITORING. Yet, I look at the other databases on the server and they too don't have a backup folder. But they also don't give any error messages in Veritas and look like they are being successfully backed up. This is happening on several servers. What can we do to fix this problem?

Jason
4 REPLIES 4

Varsha
Level 6
Refer to the following link to resolve the issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/251955

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

In addition to the technote provided,Kindly refer the following,

Microsoft Small Business Server (SBS) 2003 includes a Monitoring and Reporting feature that is installed by default. The installation of this feature creates a named SQL instance, MSSQL$SBSMONITORING. This named SQL instance is displayed in the Backup Exec user interface as a recognized SQL instance.

However, until the Monitoring and Reporting feature of SBS 2003 is properly configured, the service associated with the SBSMONITORING named instance will be set to Disabled. This will cause an error when attempts are made to select the instance for backup.

We suggest you to either consult the Microsoft SBS 2003 documentation for instructions on configuring Monitoring and Reporting, and follow the steps provided, or do not select the SBSMONITORING instance for backup until it is configured properly.

Hope this resolves your issue and query.If the issue persists then kindly revert back with necessary information and error messages.

Jason_Hunsberge
Level 2
Thanks for both your suggestions. I have checked and SBSMonitoring has been setup on the SB server. Unfortunately, something has caused it to not work properly - I suspect Backup Exec, since it is about the only program that has been interfacing with that SQL Server. Currently the service is running, (and even after restart) but it doesn't load the data ppages. So something is not working with that SQL Server. Is anyone aware of v9.1 doing this corrupting a SQL Server DB?

Also, in looking at the given support ID all it suggested was to reboot the server. Each time I reboot the problem still comes back. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Jason

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer to the following technote:

- During a backup, the Event Viewer Application Log records the following error: "I/O error on backup or restore restart-checkpoint file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\backup\model4IDR.ckp.' Operating system error 3: "The system cannot find the path specified. The statement is proceeding but is non-restartable."

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266649.htm

We hope this will help.