cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checkpoint restart, corrupt data encountered, A query for media.. Help?!

matthewlb10
Not applicable

Can anyone help?! 

Recently I have noticed that back ups of our system which we do daily have been failing - however it has been down to our external IT support to deal with as I am mainly on hand to deal with in office issues and they are more experienced when it comes to problems like that.

However they are now being a little unreliable and are now having to deal with other issues - so it's left for me. Which is good for development I guess!

Our latest back up failed yesterday/this morning due to "A query for media on which the data set being read is continued was unsuccessful. Ensure that all media in the family have been inventoried and catalogued. (Backup Media Errors)

I only recently formatted and inventoried andd catalogued all the hard drives!

It then goes on to mention an exception which is as below:

"Unable to open the item \\BACKUPNAME\D:\SQL Server Management Studio \axasZ.LhVZ - skipped".

The back up before that then had a different error stating "Corrupt data encountered" and then goes on to say in the error "Directory BEData\IMG000500\ was not found, or could not be accessed. None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backup". And various different files have the same error. It ends with: "An unexpected error occured when clearing up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly resync'd with the original volumes"

Help us! 

There are two other errors this week being Monday and Tuesday which state "A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the Agent for Windows" as well as "The job was canceled because the response to a media request alert was Cancel, or because the alert was configured to automatically respond with Cancel, or because the Backup Exec Job Engine service was stopped".

I understand there is a lot to get your head round (imagine how I feel!) but I'd appreciate anyone's help or guidance. I'm stressing as we do backups each day and we don't even have an up to date version now!

Thanks all,

1 REPLY 1

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I am assuming that this is BE 2012. What data are you backing up? Is this an attempt to backup the Backup to Disk folder to a tape? If yes, then this is not recommended. It is better to use Duplicate backups instead.

See if this helps

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38338