cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning failed with error e0008234

B_1
Level 2

We have upgraded to BEv12 and now the cleaning job keeps failing with the above error (e0008234)and message that the media is either expired or bad -  backups are fine.

I have tried solutions 271613 and 312848 from the knowledge base but am still getting the same error.

I tried re-using an old cleaning tape but got the same result.

Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   
What library and drive?  any messages in the library UI?  Have you tried a new cleaning media?  Maybe the two cleaning media you tried are really expired?  That message gomes from the tape drive itself.

B_1
Level 2

The cleaning tape was new in November and had done about 6 cleans without any problem. The error started occurring after the upgrade to v12.

The tape drive is an HP 1/8 Ultrium 232 G2 and I have tried the cleaning tape in 3 different slots but I get the same error message each time.

Forgive my ignorance but what is the 'Library UI'?

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

@B@BISR wrote:

Forgive my ignorance but what is the 'Library UI'?

The Library UI would be the Library User Interface.  That may be an LCD display on the front of your library and/or a web interface, it all depends upon what the library has.  I was curious to see if the hardware was reporting any cleaning errors or expired cleaning media or if that message was being generated by Backup Exec.

If the cleaning tape was truly expired, that fact is reported by the tape drive itself and is usually shown in the Library UI as a warning or error.  The solution would be a new cleaning media, or worst-case a drive replacement.

If the message is the result of BE "thinking" that there was a problem or an expired cleaning media, then the two technotes you mentioned should have resolved the issue.