cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning tape

firozfirst
Not applicable

Hi Team,

i am new in Symantec backup i am unable to understand why we used cleaning tape and how is it work. Please help me to get it understand. unable to fine correct answer with googel.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You use it in 1 of 2 ways:

1. leave the tape in an autoloader/library's slot and let BE decide when the drive needs to be cleaned (if this is a stand-alone drive you need to do so manually yourself);

2. Keep the tape on hand, and when you start getting notified of this in BE, or the drive/autoloader/library's cleaning light comes on, put the cleaning tape in and let it run.

Personally I prefered #2 as it kept a slot for a tape for backups, but it is your choice. Cleaning tapes have a limited lifespan of around 30 uses, and after that you throw it away. They're designated with CLN in the barcode, and cannot be used for backups by the system.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Cleaning tape as the name suggests is to clean the tape drive recording head which when clogged up with dirt will impair is ability to read/write

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You use it in 1 of 2 ways:

1. leave the tape in an autoloader/library's slot and let BE decide when the drive needs to be cleaned (if this is a stand-alone drive you need to do so manually yourself);

2. Keep the tape on hand, and when you start getting notified of this in BE, or the drive/autoloader/library's cleaning light comes on, put the cleaning tape in and let it run.

Personally I prefered #2 as it kept a slot for a tape for backups, but it is your choice. Cleaning tapes have a limited lifespan of around 30 uses, and after that you throw it away. They're designated with CLN in the barcode, and cannot be used for backups by the system.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To add to CraigV if you only have a stand alone tape device and not a library then the way a cleaning tape works is you insert it in the stand alone drive, the drive knows it is a cleaning tape and spends a short time using it (maybe a minute) and then automatically ejects the cleaning tape - this cycle is a single clean and if you don't realize and insert the tape again it will clean it again. As every cleaning tape should only be used a certain number of times before being replaced (see documentation that comes with the tape for specifics) then not realizing this can in effect use your cleaning tape too quickly.