cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clearing space in disk pool

MrCD
Level 3

So I have inherited a BE environment with very little BE knowledge, and I have a BE 2014 server with low disk alerts for it's storage pool. There's a huge amount of stuff in there, and I have no idea what to clear out and how to clear it.

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It looks pretty normal to me. You have some expired backup sets which should be deleted in the next grooming cycle. If you are retaining your backup sets for too long, shorten the retention period. As for your existing backup sets, nobody can tell you which to delete. You have to make the determination yourself

MrCD
Level 3

OK, but if I rollover the expired items it says that they expired days ago. Why are they not being deleted? The ful backup is still there and valid, but the incrementals are not clearing down. I have now totally run out of space and no more jobs are running.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Expired full or incremental sets will not get removed/reclaimed if there is another incremental set that is not expired that depends on them (chain of backups is not completely expired)

Additonally if they are the last recovery chain for a given resource they will also not be reclaimed until a newer recovery chain exists (starting wirth a newer full) although this default behaviour can be changed

If you right click on one of the expired sets one of the options allows you see to the dependent sets, click this and see what it says.

MrCD
Level 3

So I have found several backups that are showing that they have no dependants. These backups also expired almost a week ago. How do I delete these backups?

lmosla
Level 6

It might be related to this issue in Backup Exec 2014 that has been resolved with a hotfix that you can apply through installing Service Pack 2.  see here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH218049